This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2307 / 52°13'50"N
Longitude: -1.0914 / 1°5'29"W
OS Eastings: 462149
OS Northings: 259558
OS Grid: SP621595
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.0X2
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.16C8
Plus Code: 9C4W6WJ5+7C
Entry Name: Former Weedon Barracks, West Magazine of Series of Four Magazines in Magazine Enclosure
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076517
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360835
Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Built-Up Area: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
1732/16/189 BRIDGE STREET
29-APR-87 LOWER WEEDON
FORMER WEEDON BARRACKS, WEST MAGAZINE
OF SERIES OF FOUR MAGAZINES IN MAGAZIN
One of four paired magazines built 1807-11 within the Magazine Enclosure at Weedon Bec. Flemish bond brick on rendered plinth with chamfered sandstone top course; dentilled eaves courses to side elevations. Stone-coped gables. Rectangular plan, with two vaulted chambers. Double-gabled elevations to north and south, with segmental arches of gauged brick to doorways in centre of each. Late C20 doors and windows, the latter replacing original ventilators. Side elevations have perforated wrought-iron plates to ventilators, which are baffled internally. Interior: catenary arches to each chamber, with some arched access doorways between.
Part of a unique planned military-industrial complex, complete with its own defensible transport system and surrounding walls. Although the magazines (drawings of 1816 in Royal Engineers Library, W140 (D38), and later plans and drawings also archived there) are smaller in terms of their individual scale than the late 18th century example at Priddy's Hard opposite the naval dock at Portsmouth (listed grade I and like the Weedon examples built to the distinctive British double-vaulted plan), as a group they had no rival until the suite of traversed magazines were built at Bull Point, Plymouth, in the 1850s (Scheduled Ancient Monument). Catenary arches were first used at Tipnor in the 1790s and then Colonel D'Arcy's magazine at Upnor. The use of traverses makes the group highly innovatory in terms of its planning, blast walls of earth (sometimes faced in brick) being henceforth a characteristic features of magazine complexes. These traverses have also uniquely assumed an architectural form.
For full details of the site see description of Storehouse No 2.
Other nearby listed buildings