This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7517 / 51°45'6"N
Longitude: -1.2678 / 1°16'4"W
OS Eastings: 450638
OS Northings: 206142
OS Grid: SP506061
Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.48F
Mapcode Global: VHCXT.Z73H
Entry Name: Combe House
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Last Amended: 28 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1343630
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245882
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST THOMAS' STREET
(formerly listed under
High Street, St Thomas)
SP 5006 SE 7/124 12.1.54.
Marked on Ordnance Survey as Comer House. Known also as Gate House. Built
in 1702 by John Coombe, "citizen and Plaisterer of London", as a school.
Dated inscription panel on north front. 2-storeyed stone with stone copings
and a stone slate roof in which are gabled attic cormers. There is a stone
band at the 1st floor and a coved moulded eaves cornice in wood. 2 stone-based
stacks on the south with modern brick shafts. Mostly original 2-light stone-framed
casement windows with leaded lights and plain mullions. The east doorway
has a plain frame in stone with a moulded pediment. History. A drawing
of 1821 by J C Buckler is in Bodleian M S Don. a. 3.II, 106. For inscription
see Gents Mag. January 1809.
Listing NGR: SP5063806142
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings