This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7083 / 52°42'30"N
Longitude: -2.7511 / 2°45'4"W
OS Eastings: 349347
OS Northings: 312562
OS Grid: SJ493125
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.2HC9
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.Q641
Entry Name: 4A, 4B, 4C, ST MARY'S PLACE (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 17 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1344963
English Heritage Legacy ID: 458058
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY1
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ4912NW ST MARY'S PLACE
653-1/11/578 (South East side)
10/01/53 Nos.4A, 4B, 4C AND 5-8 (Consecutive)
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARY'S PLACE
Nos.7-8 AND 8A)
Row of 5 houses, now subdivided and partly in use as shops.
Largely late C18 but incorporating elements of earlier
structures. Brick with roof not visible behind parapet.
3 storeys, 5-window range with 6-panelled doors with fanlights
in architraves with panelled rebates and console brackets to
cornice. The left-hand doorway is flanked by 2 windows with
segmentally-arched heads: the left-hand window has fan
plasterwork beneath the segmental arch. To the right, an
inserted shop front in a traditional style. Upper windows are
12-pane sashes with flat-arched gauged brick heads (6-pane
sashes to attic). Parapet eaves over stuccoed cornice.
Traces of earlier structure exist in side elevation, with
early C18 brickwork and the remains of a former chimney stack.
Rear of No.8 incorporates remains of timber-framed structure,
including a renewed tie beam and a king post roof truss.
Listing NGR: SJ4934812560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings