History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Market Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Somerton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0538 / 51°3'13"N

Longitude: -2.7282 / 2°43'41"W

OS Eastings: 349054

OS Northings: 128526

OS Grid: ST490285

Mapcode National: GBR MK.FSQM

Mapcode Global: FRA 565B.GY2

Plus Code: 9C3V373C+GP

Entry Name: The Market Hall

Listing Date: 17 April 1959

Last Amended: 30 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1346033

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262966

Location: Somerton, South Somerset, Somerset, TA11

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Somerton

Built-Up Area: Somerton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


9/160 The Market Hall
(formerly listed as the Town


Market and Town Hall. C17 origins. Local lias stone cut and roughly squared, Ham stone dressings; clay pantiled roof
between stepped coped gables with ball finials, ornamental clay tile ridge. Two storeys, 5 bays; south elevation has
offset buttresses up to between-floors string course, which is interrupted by arches and labels to openings; cambered
arched doorway recess bay 1; 4 light chamfered mullioned window with flat head bay 2; semi circular arched doorways
bays 4 and 5; matching mullioned windows with labels to upper bays 1,2,4 and 5. east end has tall 5 light mullioned and
transomed window with semi-circular head; small added porch with coped gable and cambered arched doorway at west end
with smaller 5 light window above, having 4 centre arched head. north side has taller buttresses, and to bays 1 and 2
full height 5 light flat arched mullioned and transomed windows; bay 3 a slightly projecting chimney stack with
offsets, with 2-light window, lower right and similar window lower bay 4; upper bay 4 has 5 light window all on this
side without labels: bay 5 a cambered arched doorway up 3 steps. In north west corner against porch a cast iron pump
and stone bowl. Interior not seen: building undergoing substantial patching externally and interior remodelling (June
1984). The former Shambles House of at least 1688, repaired 1799. By 1841 focus of the meat market, but also used by
local magistrates until 1870- the west porch is a former lock-up. Owned by Lord Ilchester, it was sold to the town in
1913. Included for historical interest and importance in street scene. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4906228526

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.