This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6165 / 53°36'59"N
Longitude: -2.1592 / 2°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 389562
OS Northings: 413340
OS Grid: SD895133
Mapcode National: GBR FVCM.B9
Mapcode Global: WHB8X.SCZC
Plus Code: 9C5VJR8R+J8
Entry Name: The Old Post Office
Listing Date: 12 February 1985
Last Amended: 1 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1346249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358882
Location: Milkstone and Deeplish, Rochdale, OL16
Electoral Ward/Division: Milkstone and Deeplish
Built-Up Area: Rochdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Rochdale St Chad, St Mary and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/07/2018
SD 8913 SE
THE ESPLANADE (North west side)
The Old Post Office
(Formerly listed as Post Office)
Former post office, designed 1911, opened 1927. C.P. Wilkinson. Portland stone with Westmorland slate roof. L-shaped plan with single storey appendage to rear enclosing a yard. In a restrained Baroque style.
Two storeys plus attic with a nine bay facade, the central seven being brought forward. The ground floor is rusticated, has a projecting plinth, semi-circular headed openings with coved surrounds and large 'S' shaped scroll keystones. The first floor sash windows have architraves, and sills and cornices supported by console brackets. Rusticated quoins and a modillion eaves cornice with egg and tongue moulding and carved lion heads. Steeply pitched roof with pedimented dormer windows. The side elevations are treated similarly but in a more restrained manner. Many of the internal fittings and finishes remain intact.
A similar building was to be erected on the other side of the War Memorial (q.v.) but was abandoned due to cost.
Listing NGR: SD8956213340
Other nearby listed buildings