History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

17, Yorkshire Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Milkstone and Deeplish, Rochdale

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6173 / 53°37'2"N

Longitude: -2.1587 / 2°9'31"W

OS Eastings: 389599

OS Northings: 413432

OS Grid: SD895134

Mapcode National: GBR FVCM.F0

Mapcode Global: WHB8X.TB7Q

Plus Code: 9C5VJR8R+WG

Entry Name: 17, Yorkshire Street

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 12 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1203380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358965

Location: Milkstone and Deeplish, Rochdale, OL16

County: Rochdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Milkstone and Deeplish

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Rochdale

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Rochdale St Chad, St Mary and St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Tagged with: Bank building

Find accommodation in
Rochdale

Description


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 15/11/2019

SD 8913 SE
11/134

ROCHDALE
YORKSHIRE STREET (north-west side)
No 17

(formerly listed as Lloyds Bank, previously listed as No. 17)

25.10.1951

GV
II
Former town house, 1708. Built for the Vavasour family of woolstaplers and merchants. By 1745 this was the Union Flag Hotel and by 1894 it was occupied by JH King, ironmonger, when it had large ground floor shop windows. In 1930 it was acquired by Lloyds Bank who completely rebuilt the ground floor, replacing the shop windows with rusticated stone and smaller windows. Until about 2013 the building was in use as a bank, but it currently (2019) stands empty.

Brick with stone ground floor and dressings, slate and copper roofs. Corner entrance to roughly square shaped plan. Three storeys with three bays to Yorkshire Street. Two to former Lord Street, and curved corner bay with large tripartite windows. Rusticated ground floor with accentuated voussoirs and keystones to flat window and door arches, all completely re-built in 1930. The second and third storey windows have stone architraves and keystones with moulded panels below on the first floor and blind balustrading on the second floor. Each has an order of Ionic fluted pilasters in the Palladian manner, supporting a stone cornice. The timber modillion eaves cornice is surmounted by a pitched roof with swept hips and a considerable balcony to Yorkshire Street. The balcony fronts a dentilled gable and has iron railings terminated by giant acorn-like vases on pedestals.

The interior has triangular patterned architraves and a plastered ceiling but is largely of C20 date. The tiers of Ionic pilasters are of a surprisingly early date for Lancashire.

Listing NGR: SD8959913432

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.