This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7615 / 51°45'41"N
Longitude: -0.2118 / 0°12'42"W
OS Eastings: 523505
OS Northings: 208488
OS Grid: TL235084
Mapcode National: GBR J9M.F8F
Mapcode Global: VHGPL.8ZWJ
Plus Code: 9C3XQQ6Q+H7
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Etheldreda
Listing Date: 30 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1348124
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158362
Location: Hatfield, Welwyn Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL9
Civil Parish: Hatfield
Built-Up Area: Hatfield
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bishops Hatfield Saint Etheldreda with Saint Luke
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
FORE STREET (south side)
Parish Church of St Etheldreda
Church. C13 and C15. Some work of early C17. 1872 rebuilt exterior by David Brandon. Flint walls with stone dressings. Ashlar north east chapel. Cruciform plan with north and south chancel chapels, transepts with western chapels, north and south porches and west tower.
Tower is four stages with setback buttresses, a broad west door with quatrefoil decoration in the spandrels and a four-light west window. Windows of nave and chancel are Decorated style.
Interior has aisleless nave with waggon roof. Narrow west arch with deeply moulded jambs. Panelled chancel roof. North east chancel chapel (The Salisbury Chapel) by Francis Carter for William, second Earl of Salisbury, as mortuary chapel for his father. Perpendicular style windows. Three-bay arcade to chancel with Tuscan columns of Shap granite.
Interior redecorated in 1871 by third Marquess of Salisbury: mosaic walls with Alabaster arcade of trefoiled arches. Painted panelled ceiling. West and south wrought iron gates of early C18 Flemish work. Monument in centre to Robert Cecil, first Earl of Salisbury d.1612. Sculptures of Earl and supporting female figures by Maximilian Colt. Also in chapel C13 floor effigy of knight, and effigy of William Curll by Nicholas Stone, 1617. C15 south easr chancel chapel (The Brocket Chapel) has large marble standing wall monument to Sir James Read by Michael Rysbrack, 1765, 1598 wall monument to Sir John Brocket and tomb of 2nd Viscount Melbourne (d.1848). Tie beam roof with head stops. C13 arch to south west transept chapel. Good later C19 glass: south transept window by Burne Jones, 1894; chancel east window and north east chapel window by Clayton and Bell, c.1870-2. (Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL2350508488
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings