This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.088 / 52°5'16"N
Longitude: -2.6352 / 2°38'6"W
OS Eastings: 356574
OS Northings: 243486
OS Grid: SO565434
Mapcode National: GBR FP.BNYR
Mapcode Global: VH85J.8SQ6
Plus Code: 9C4V39Q7+6W
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 26 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 154170
Location: Withington, County of Herefordshire, HR1
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Withington
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Withington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 54 SE WITHINGTON CP WITHINGTON
7/206 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C12 origins, remodelled and added to in C13 and C14,
restored 1858. Sandstone rubble, slate roof. Four-bay nave and two-
bay chancel under continuous roof, late C13 or early C14 ashlar built
west tower and spire, north organ chamber dated 1899, late C19 south
porch. West tower: three stages with no dividing string courses, large
off-sets to base, diagonal buttresses to north-west and south-west, stair
turret on south side next to south-east buttress, two water spouts to each
face break through string course below plain parapet; recessed ashlar
built ribbed spire with lucarnes near the top and trefoiled 2-centred
openings to its base; west window is a hooded lancet; the first storey
has north and south trefoil-headed lancets. Nave: blocked north doorway
under C12 semi-circular arch head and jambs with heavy roll mouldings
similar to south doorway. C15 north-west window of two trefoil headed
lights under square head. Main south window has three lights with cinque-
foil heads, probably C19. East window of north wall is C13 lancet, to the
west of it is a C14 2-light ogee-headed window. Chancel: C19 3-light
east window and two restored lancets on south wall. Interior: nave has
unceiled late C19 wagon roof with scissor bracing above, chancel is ceiled.
Liturgical division marked by large moulded arched truss, crossing the
chancel screen, which in part may be C15 but appears heavily restored.
Tower arch is 2-centred with three orders of chamfered mouldings under
a label terminating in corbel heads. Screen, perhaps part of a C15
rood loft, but restored, has crested beam above eight open panels with ogee
traceried heads. C13 trefoil-headed piscina in south wall of nave has
foiled drain; to its west is a contemporary recess under a 2-centred arch.
Communion table is C17 with balustered legs, three contemporary chairs.
Late C19 font has six marble shafts with stiff-leaf capitals supporting
sexfoil shaped bowl. Plaque: in north wall of chancel to William Saxeye,
chief justice of Munster, died 1612:
HERE LYETH Y BODYE OF WILLIAM
SAXEYE ESQVIER IVSTICE OF PEACE &
CORAM IN THIS COVNTY OF HERIFORD
HE WAS CHEEFE IVSTICE OF YE PROVINCE
OF MVNSTER IN IRLAND FOR YE SPACE
OF XV OR XVI YEARES HE WAS
BORNE AT BRISTOLL AND DIED AT
LITTLE THINGILL THE VII th OF FEBRVARY
IN THE YERE OF OVR LORD GOD 1612
(RCHM, Vol II, p 216).
Listing NGR: SO5657443486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings