History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Wilfred or Brougham Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brougham, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6485 / 54°38'54"N

Longitude: -2.7335 / 2°44'0"W

OS Eastings: 352765

OS Northings: 528401

OS Grid: NY527284

Mapcode National: GBR 9GCP.0F

Mapcode Global: WH81B.ZFH7

Entry Name: Chapel of St Wilfred or Brougham Chapel

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1349045

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74209

Location: Brougham, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Brougham

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Clifton St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Penrith

Listing Text

NY 52 NW BROUGHAM BROUGHAM

9/5 Chapel of St Wilfred
6.2.58 or Brougham Chapel

GV II*

Church of England chapel. Rebuilt in 1658 for Lady Anne Clifford on medieval
site, with early C19 alterations for Lord Brougham. Coursed red sandstone
rubble walls with flush quoins, under graduated greenslate roof with coped
gables and kneelers; west twin open bellcote. 4-bay nave and single-bay chancel
under common roof. Nave has C17 pointed-arched south doorway under hoodmould.
Small round-arched C17 windows under hoodmoulds with stepped buttresses
between. Taller west windows. Similar north windows, the western one C19 with
engaged-columned surround. Chancel has south C17 ogee-headed priest's doorway
under hoodmould. Tall round-headed C17 east windows and C19 rose window.
Interior has no division between chancel and nave. C17 timber ceiling of
collar-beam trusses with curved braces under the collars; elaborate C19 heraldic
plasterwork. C17 bowl and stem font with inscription and C19 reworking. West
screen of a series of enriched circular posts supporting cinquefoiled arches,
moulded and enriched cornice: C16 French imported by Lord Brougham. Dado
panelling including imported C16 traceried panels. Pulpit incorporating similar
reused panels with carved Biblical figures. Longtitudinal stalls incorporate
C16 French panels, those on south wall with carved canopy hoods. Some C17
painted plasterwork has been retained around the priest's door. C19 stained
glass incorporating some earlier imported glass. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936,
pp.56-7.


Listing NGR: NY5276528401

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.