This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.037 / 52°2'13"N
Longitude: -2.4227 / 2°25'21"W
OS Eastings: 371102
OS Northings: 237708
OS Grid: SO711377
Mapcode National: GBR FZ.FTXP
Mapcode Global: VH860.Y2L7
Entry Name: Market House
Listing Date: 18 September 1953
Last Amended: 5 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1349392
English Heritage Legacy ID: 151844
Location: Ledbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Ledbury
Built-Up Area: Ledbury
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Ledbury
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
5245 HIGH STREET
(formerly listed as
The Town Hall or
SO 7137 NE 2/20 18.9.53.
Begun circa 1617 and completed after 1655, and attributed John Abel, the King's
Carpenter. Timber-framed with a gable-ended tiled roof. 2 storeys. The upper
storey is supported on 7 posts on the long sides and 3 at the ends all with curved
braces. The posts are of local Spanish chestnut, on stone bases, they are moulded
grooved and tapered with moulded bases. Upper storey projects on all sides with
chamfered bressummers and exposed timber framing, herring bone patterned on the
west and south, the other sides with square panels. 6-light wooden ovolo-moulded
mullion/transom windows with leaded panes, 3 windows on west side, 2 on south side.
Inside the open ground floor the floor is stone paved, the ceiling has chamfered
beams forming square bays. The upper storey has similar beams and exposed wall
posts. The stairs and most of the windows are modern. AM.
Market House with all the listed buildings on the east side of High Street form
a good group.
Listing NGR: SO7110237708
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings