This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4753 / 52°28'30"N
Longitude: -2.7224 / 2°43'20"W
OS Eastings: 351030
OS Northings: 286614
OS Grid: SO510866
Mapcode National: GBR BK.K4H5
Mapcode Global: VH83Q.R1NS
Plus Code: 9C4VF7GH+42
Entry Name: Washwell Cottage
Listing Date: 20 March 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1350320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 490130
Location: Munslow, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Munslow
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Munslow
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
Early C18 smallholder's cottage with mid-C19 addition. Built of local uncoursed pink sandstone rubble with corrugated iron roof replacing original thatch; plain clay tile roof to C19 addition.
PLAN: The original cottage is of single-cell plan, aligned north-west to south-east, with single-storey gabled addition, divided into 2 small rooms, attached to north-west gable end.
EXTERIOR: Front elevation has mid-C20 gabled porch to left with 4-panel outer door (top panels glazed) and plank inner door; 2-light C20 casements, one on each floor, and integral end stack to right with diagonally set brown brick chimney. Rear elevation has 2-light casement on each floor to centre (lower C19, C20 above) and bread oven projection to left. 2 single-light segmental-headed casements to gable end of C19 addition.
INTERIOR: Main ground-floor room has substantial cross-beam and roughly chamfered joists; partly infilled inglenook fireplace with C19 mantleshelf has straight-flight oak staircase to right with winder to top. Corresponding room on first floor has wide floorboards and substantial chimney breast. Quarry tile floor in C19 addition.
HISTORY: Smallholders' cottages of this type, typical of Shropshire and the Welsh borders, are characteristically found in locations such as this, by a quarry or on the edge of common land. In 1953 the cottage became the home of Fred Jordan (1922-2002), a local farm worker who as one of the last genuine rustic English folk-singers to learn his songs via an ancient oral-based tradition recorded a number of albums and became nationally known on the traditional folk music scene. During this time it underwent little modernisation or change, as despite his success as a recording artist, Jordan continued to retain the values, lifestyle and outward trappings of a pre-war farm worker. (Obituary in The Times, 13 August 2002).
Other nearby listed buildings