This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4753 / 52°28'30"N
Longitude: -2.7244 / 2°43'27"W
OS Eastings: 350892
OS Northings: 286615
OS Grid: SO508866
Mapcode National: GBR BK.K3ZJ
Mapcode Global: VH83Q.Q1KS
Entry Name: Aston Hall and Wall and Gatepiers to South East and Gatepiers to North East
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Last Amended: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383344
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483762
Location: Munslow, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Munslow
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Munslow
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO58NW ASTON MUNSLOW
1312-1/11/143 Aston Hall and wall and gatepiers
12/11/54 to south-east and gatepiers to
(Formerly Listed as:
Manor house, now house. C16 with earlier core, much restored.
Coursed and uncoursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings,
painted timber frame on stone rubble plinth. Plain-tile roofs.
Projecting stone rubble stacks to side and rear with 3 shafts
and integral brick stack to right-hand wing with 4 shafts, all
shafts of spurred brick with connecting oversailing caps. 2
later small brick gable-end stacks. H-shaped plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Front with 2 deeply projecting
cross wings with front gables, and linking 3-bay range with
projecting porch and gabled room over. Single window in each
storey of each bay of ashlar mullion windows with ashlar
surrounds, generally 2-light with 3-light to ground floor of
cross wings and single-light to attic of cross wings; some
leaded panes. Central round-arched front porch opening,
boarded and studded door with ogee and fillet moulded frame.
Left side: central large gable flanked by large gabled stone
with projecting stack between centre and right dormers;
2-window central gable range of wood mullion and transom
windows with a single window in attic and stone mullion window
at ground storey; to left, 2-window range of wood mullion and
transom windows on left side and casements on right side with
2-light dormer casement; to right is a single-light casement
in ashlar surround.
Right side: to left, 2-window range of wood mullion and
transom windows. To right, 2-bay timber-framed range of close
studding with girding beam and middle rails, truss posts with
straight arched braces, 2 first-floor casements and 4
ground-floor casements, all restored, inset in framing.
Rear: 2 projecting gable ends of wings, the right stone
rubble, the left rendered and partly covered by single-storey
gabled brick service wing. Linking range partly covered by
later brick single- and 2-storey extensions.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: garden terrace in front with flanking
walls and pillars; opposing pair of gatepiers adjacent to
front facade of house with brick garden wall running
approximately 10 metres along the length of the garden to
third pier, continuation of wall and linking wall across the
front now missing. Gatepiers of brick with ashlar moulded base
and corniced cap, gatepiers surmounted with ashlar urn, the
wall-pier with obelisk.
Listing NGR: SO5089286615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings