This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0627 / 51°3'45"N
Longitude: -1.3197 / 1°19'10"W
OS Eastings: 447767
OS Northings: 129477
OS Grid: SU477294
Mapcode National: GBR 861.9EJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 8639.ZMF
Entry Name: Great Hall winchester Castle
Listing Date: 24 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1351065
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144464
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester St Lawrence with St Swithun-upon-Kingsgate
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1833 CASTLE AVENUE
SU 4729 SE 5/24 24.3.50.
The Great Hall, 1252-1240, now only remains. Built by Henry III. Entrance
altered C19 to centre of one side and porch added. Interior has a fine
double arcade. Exterior flint with stone dressings and tall 2-light window
with early plate tracery. Much restored. Interior double cube of 55'.
Five bay arcade with tall Purbeck shafts. Roof renewed 1873 by T H Wyatt.
Bronze statue of Queen Victoria by Alfred Gilbert 1897. Medieval Round
Table on west wall.
The listed buildings in Castle Avenue with Castle Hill Offices form a
Listing NGR: SU4751629417
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings