This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3303 / 52°19'48"N
Longitude: 0.9484 / 0°56'54"E
OS Eastings: 600997
OS Northings: 274334
OS Grid: TM009743
Mapcode National: GBR SGT.SQJ
Mapcode Global: VHKCW.DP7H
Entry Name: The Old Manse
Listing Date: 15 November 1954
Last Amended: 15 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1352543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 281847
Location: Wattisfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Wattisfield
Built-Up Area: Wattisfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wattisfield St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 07 SW WATTISFIELD THE STREET (EAST SIDE)
3/102 The Old Manse
15/11/54 (formerly listed as The Manse)
House; formerly the manse associated with the nearby Congregational Chapel.
Late C16, later C17 and mid C18. Timber-framed and rendered; concrete
plaintiles to front roof-slope of central range, black-glazed pantiles to rear.
slope and to both cross-wings. 2 storeys and attic; half-H form, which has
developed in stages, with an additional wing behind the central range. Coved
cornice to centre, plain bargeboards to cross-wings; small-paned sash windows
in flush frames; above the centrally-placed entrance is a sliding sash window
with small panes. 6-panelled door, the top 4 panels glazed, the bottom 2
flush; Gibbs surround, with triangular pediment above. The left-hand wing is
the oldest part of the house: in 4 bays, one bay containing a chimney-stack
with 2 back-to-back hearths, both with open fireplaces and plain timber
lintels. Chamfered main beams exposed, in the rear room with curved stops and
jewel. The central range, which is lower than the wings, has poor quality
later C17 ceilings with joists set on edge, and some early C19 insertions,
including a staircase. At the rear, a 2-bay wing of similar date with a gable
end of red brick, in random bond with some blue headers, incorporating a plain
chimney-stack. The short right-hand wing may have been entirely added in
1755, when there are records of work undertaken by the local Congregational
authorities: red brick rear gable in Flemish Bond with a plain chimney-stack;
framing with bisected studs, primary braces, and long jowls to posts. Good
mid-Georgian woodwork: 6-panelled door to parlour with eared architrave, a
fine fireplace with eared architrave and panel above, moulded cornice with
dentils. In the upper room, a cast iron raised grate with Greek key ornament.
All the roofs are of butt purlin form.
Listing NGR: TM0099774334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings