History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Longford Castle

A Grade I Listed Building in Odstock, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0391 / 51°2'20"N

Longitude: -1.7569 / 1°45'24"W

OS Eastings: 417140

OS Northings: 126670

OS Grid: SU171266

Mapcode National: GBR 51P.SR7

Mapcode Global: FRA 766C.PC8

Entry Name: Longford Castle

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1355742

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319522

Location: Odstock, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Odstock

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Britford St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


5/141 Longford Castle



Large house. 1591 by Thomas Gorges, C18 remodelling including James
Wyatt's 1796 hexagon scheme, for 2nd Earl of Radnor, partially
executed by D. A. Alexander 1802-17, restoration and additions of
1870's by A. Salvin for 4th Earl of Radnor. Chilmark stone with
flint bands, Westmorland slate roofs, lead domes to stair turrets,
ashlar stacks. Elizabethan triangular plan, two towers and linking
wings added C19 to east. 3-storey, 11-window symmetrical entrance
front to north-west, restored by Salvin. Central round-arched
door, 5-bay loggias to ground and first floors with recessed second
floor over, to sides are projecting bays of 2 windows with central
niches, linked by recessed bay to 3-storey flanking round towers,
the left one altered by Salvin with basement, the right original.
All cross windows, decorative features include caryatids, string
courses, pilasters and three Dutch gables. Circular stacks in
groups of five. Towers have battlemented parapets with stacks.
South or garden front entirely rebuilt by Salvin in C17 style,
1876; 3-storey, 9-window symmetrical front with flanking towers; 2
round-arched doors to left and right, cross windows to ground and
first floors, five 3-light mullioned windows to second floor,
string courses, two projecting bays with Dutch gables, central
recessed bay with balustraded parapet, tall square stacks with
circular stacks to flanking towers. Attached to right is one
storey, 2-window range by Salvin, linking south-east tower to
Alexander's east tower reduced by one storey in 1950's; windows to
both are mullioned and transomed. East and north ranges and north
tower by Alexander, altered by Salvin: Tower in banded stone and
flint, ranges are buff-coloured Flemish bond brick, 2-storey east
range with basement has cross windows, formerly 5 bays but partly
demolished after 1949 fire. North range is 5-bay service wing with
3-light mullioned and transomed windows, 2-storey and basement with
prominent glacis.
Interior: Original Elizabethan fittings include three circular
stair turrets with stone spiral stairs, in angles of central
triangular court, south-west tower has wainscot panelling and
carved stone overmantel depicting Vulcan to ground floor, former
chapel to first floor has fine ribbed vaulted ceiling with central
pendant, carved overmantel of c1600 depictng Orpheus, but from
elsewhere. C18 fittings in Picture Gallery of 1730s and Green
Drawing Room of c1741, fine Rysbrack fire surround and overmantel
of 1744 in ground floor of south-east tower, composite capitals to
black marble columns in chapel, by H. Barrell. Extensive refitting
and rearrangement of interior by Salvin; glass dome covering of
central court and wrought-iron galleries at first floor, many
marble fireplaces and fine 6-panelled mahogany doors, ribbed
plaster ceilings replacing C18 plasterwork. Original hall was in
position of present billiard room, to right of front door.
Gorges's house completed by 1591 and probably influenced by
Tresham's Lodge at Rushton begun 1580. House depicted in series
of plans and drawings by Thacker in 1680s when owned by Lord
Coleraine, sold to Bouveries in 1717 and remained with them until
present day. Surrounding park partly landscaped by Capability
Brown. (J. Cornforth, Country Life Annual 1968, N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975, Unpublished records of RCHM
(England, Salisbury).

Listing NGR: SU1719226723

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.