This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0655 / 51°3'55"N
Longitude: -1.7923 / 1°47'32"W
OS Eastings: 414647
OS Northings: 129590
OS Grid: SU146295
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.3PK
Mapcode Global: FRA 7649.FKH
Plus Code: 9C3W3685+53
Entry Name: Craddock House friars Cottage friary Cottage friary Court
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Last Amended: 10 December 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1355799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319150
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Salisbury St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
No 20 (Friary Cottage).
SU 1429 NE 4/194 28.2.52.
Includes Friars Cottage, Friary Lane.
Built by Mathew Bee, Mayor of Salisbury 1600.
1618 (Recorded in title deeds) L-shaped group with Friary Court facing north
and south and Craddock House east and west. Originally one building.
Friary Court. 3 storey. The upper storey added C18 and the south front altered
at same time. North front - brick with lst and 2nd floor strings and hipped
old tile roof. One central C17 2-light leaded casement. C18 6-panel door,
good brass knockers, under window in doorcase of panelled reveals, architrave
surround, narrow side pilasters and flat cut brackets with roundel ornament,
plain frieze and moulded dentilled cornice. Delicate C18 wrought iron scrolled
flower guard over door. South front - stuccoed with 5 windows to upper floors,
and 4 windows and central glazed door to ground floor.
Craddock House. East front. C17 with slight C18 alterations. 2 storey and
attic. Brick on projecting stone capped plinth. Projecting gabled wing to
right hand. Old tile roof. Wing has a 2-light stone mullioned casement on
ground and attic floors and similar 3 light on 1st floor with drip mould.
Remainder of front - C18 6-panel central door repeating design of Friary Court
door, flanked by 4-light stone mullioned casement to right hand and 8-light
similar mullioned and transomed to left hand on ground floor. On 1st floor
- C18 3-light left hand and single centre sash (no glazing bars) and 4-light
stone mullioned casement right hand. Former 2-storey porch removed. The
west front is a picturesque grouping of gables and massive chimneys, with
a narrow central gable to stair with stone mullioned windows of varying size.
Interiors: Friary Court has mid C18 staircase, square newels, turned balusters,
with mouldings, open string with scrolled tread ends. Some exposed beams.
Craddock House has exposed timber framing and decorative plaster work to ceiling
of ground floor room at south end. On 1st floor 4 central arched fire- place
with wood bressumer strengthening. Remains of winder staircase. Roof has
exposed purlins and principals, rest concealed. The adjoining buildings,
No 20 (Friary Cottage) and Friars Cottage, (Friary Lane) are former outbuildings
of Craddock House.
No 20 (Friary Cottage) is later C18 2 storeys red brick. Old tile roof. 3
leaded 1st floor casements, one on ground floor and ledged central door.
Friars Cottage (Friary Lane) also 2 storeys red brick with old tile roof.
Irregular casement windows and plain door.
Part of an important group with the South Side of St Anne's Street.
Listing NGR: SU1464729590
Other nearby listed buildings