This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.56 / 53°33'36"N
Longitude: -2.1224 / 2°7'20"W
OS Eastings: 391990
OS Northings: 407049
OS Grid: SD919070
Mapcode National: GBR FWM8.9K
Mapcode Global: WHB94.CSL6
Entry Name: Church of St Anne
Listing Date: 6 May 1987
Last Amended: 6 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212453
Location: Oldham, OL2
Electoral Ward/Division: Royton South
Built-Up Area: Royton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Royton St Anne, Longsight
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
ST ANNES STREET,
CHURCH OF ST ANNE
Also Known As: Church of St Anne, ST ANNE'S AVENUE
Church. 1908-09, tower 1926-27. By Temple Moore, tower completed by Leslie Moore to Temple Moore's design. Snecked stone with clay tile roof. Nave, chancel and aisle passages all under one roof. Shallow north organ transept balanced by a south tower. Lean-to baptistry and porches against west end and flat-roofed Lady Chapel at east end. Free Gothic style. 4-bay nave and chancel with plain buttresses and 1, 3 and 1-light windows with reticulated tracery in each bay. The chancel windows are given more elaboration. Gabled organ chamber and unbuttressed 5-stage tower with corner stair turret, bands separating each stage, 4-light second stage window, 2-light flat-headed mullion windows with hoodmoulds and castellations. The Lady Chapel (appearing externally to be the chancel) has a coped parapet, flat buttresses, C17- style mullioned clerestory windows, a rose window, and is flanked by lean-to vestries.
INTERIOR: ashlar sandstone dressings. Ceiled wagon roof is decoratively painted. Wide nave arcade arches on square columns subtly enclosing the aisle windows which are above seated recesses under round arches. The aisle passages continue along the chancel till reaching the east wall which is pierced by three arches, the outer two giving access to the Lady Chapel. The arches are echoed at the west, where they have been glazed in and the former baptistery turned into a narthex/meeting room. The stone font has been moved to the south east corner of the nave. Timber fittings include a fine pulpit and two banks of choir stalls fronted by carved screens. Painted reredos and stained glass in the Lady Chapel also designed by the architect.
An outstanding example of Temple Moore's radical approach to early C20 revivalism.
Brandwood, GK, Temple Moore, 1997, p.82.
Listing NGR: SD9199007049
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings