This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5925 / 53°35'33"N
Longitude: -2.2991 / 2°17'56"W
OS Eastings: 380301
OS Northings: 410701
OS Grid: SD803107
Mapcode National: GBR DVDW.1X
Mapcode Global: WH97Q.NYDS
Entry Name: Former Barclays Bank
Listing Date: 18 May 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1356834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 210725
Location: Bury, BL9
Electoral Ward/Division: East
Built-Up Area: Bury
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 8010 NW, SILVER STREET (west side),
Former Barclays Bank
1868, by Blackwell and Son and Booth, of Manchester and Bury. Enriched classical
style. A substantial corner building of two storeys. Ashlar, with moulded plinth
and rusticated bands across ground floor and cornice (on brackets alternation with
medallions) across upper floor. Five large windows, the upper ones having shaped hoods
on brackets and enriched pseudo-balcony fronts. The middle bay projects slightly;
on ground floor it has large arched entry with horizontal ribbing to angled intrados
and grotesque head as keystone; on first floor it has paired pilasters supporting
segmental pediment enclosing sculpture. Side sections of front are framed by pilasters.
Parapet with sections of balustrading; chimneys with bracketed cornices surmount
it. 4-bay return front to Bank Street is similar. Recessed quadrant corner.
INTERIOR has highly enriched plasterwork.
Built for Bury Banking Co, founded (as Grundy
and Wood) before 1836. Upper floor formerly used as Bury Council Chamber and offices.
Listing NGR: SD8029110708
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings