This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5566 / 51°33'23"N
Longitude: 0.255 / 0°15'18"E
OS Eastings: 556424
OS Northings: 186602
OS Grid: TQ564866
Mapcode National: GBR W3.NYR
Mapcode Global: VHHNG.C4PJ
Plus Code: 9F32H744+J2
Entry Name: The Clock House
Listing Date: 17 April 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201648
Location: Upminster, Havering, London, RM14
Electoral Ward/Division: Upminster
Built-Up Area: Havering
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Upminster St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
ST MARY'S LANE
The Clock House
TQ 58 NE 13/16 17.4.72.
Circa 1775. Two storeys, red brick. Front to road is 5 windows wide. Ground
floor altered with later porch; 4 blind windows and one sash in upper floor
with cill-course and raised band-course between storeys, cornice and parapet.
In the centre of the parapet is a small rectangular turret with circular black
clock face with gilt figures. The clock is signed and dated 'Edward Tutet.
London.1774.' Above is an octagonal open pillared cupola with ogee dome.
The turret is probably of earlier date than the stables and brought from Woolwich
Arsenal; the weather vane dated 1700 is stored inside building. East side
has 2 projecting 2 storey wings, 1-3-1 windows assymetrical. West side has
pedimented centre, 1-3-1 windows. The building was formerly the stable block
to New Place, the seat of the Esdaile family which has been demolished.
Listing NGR: TQ5642486602
Other nearby listed buildings