This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4403 / 51°26'24"N
Longitude: -0.1162 / 0°6'58"W
OS Eastings: 531025
OS Northings: 172935
OS Grid: TQ310729
Mapcode National: GBR FX.Z90
Mapcode Global: VHGRC.X2Y7
Entry Name: Chestnut Lodge
Listing Date: 7 March 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488503
Location: Lambeth, London, SW2
Electoral Ward/Division: Streatham Hill
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Streatham Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
House, later used as a youth club and latterly for storage. Built in 1905, designed by architects Bennett and Davies of Princes Mews, Westminster in an Arts and Crafts style reminiscent of Voysey for W H Grant. Roughcast with Cumberland slate roof with roughcast chimneys and roughcast windows. Decorative dated cast iron rainwater heads. Two storeys and attics, carefully asymmetrical with irregular fenestration of casement windows with leaded lights.
EXTERIOR: Principal front faces north east with end two storey gables, the left side gable with four-light casement to first floor, the ground floor a curved bay of seven lights. The right gable has seven-light curved bay to both floors. Centre has two tiers of flat-roofed dormers , roof sweeping down to verandah on four wooden supports. Behind the verandah is a right side casement window with letter box, leaded light window and oak panelled door to return. South east side has ground floor bay. South west side has gable and catslide roof to left hand side, five casement windows, including two end ones which wrap around the corner, tall staircase window, bays to ground floor each side and central wooden verandah.
INTERIOR: Front vestibule has green glazed tiles and inner door with stained glass panels. Staircase Hall has full height painted panelling with plate rail, built-in china cupboard with serpentine shelves and fireplace with overthrow with brackets and shelf and diamond and heart panels. Staircase has three arches supported on square piers and flat balustrading with square newel posts. Former Dining Room to north east has beamed ceiling, oak panelling with strapwork panels, stone fireplace with four-centred arch and strapwork panels with built-in bookshelves and built-in sideboard. Former Drawing Room to north east has large inglenook with panelling, cupboards, built-in seats and three-sided display cabinet and a further china cupboard with glazed doors and built-in window seat. Rear room has built-in bookshelves with glazed doors. Service staircase of dogleg type with diamond-shaped balusters. Some original fireplaces and alcoves to upper floors.
HISTORY: Built for a W H Grant of Crowhurst Road in Brixton whose family lived there until 1934. From then until 1954 the owner was Albert Stokes. Subsequently it was acquired by Lambeth Borough and became a Youth Club.
[Pevsner and Cherry "Buildings of England" London 2: South. 1983. P394.]
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings