History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Priest House Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle Donington, Leicestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8431 / 52°50'35"N

Longitude: -1.3815 / 1°22'53"W

OS Eastings: 441753

OS Northings: 327471

OS Grid: SK417274

Mapcode National: GBR 7H8.RJ8

Mapcode Global: WHDH7.RS9R

Plus Code: 9C4WRJV9+79

Entry Name: The Priest House Hotel

Listing Date: 29 December 1952

Last Amended: 16 January 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1361337

English Heritage Legacy ID: 358144

Location: Castle Donington, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire, DE74

County: Leicestershire

Civil Parish: Castle Donington

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Castle Donington St Edward the King and Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Shardlow

Description

SK 42 NW
2/97
CASTLE DONINGTON
PARK LANE
The Priest House Hotel

(formerly listed under Kings Mills)
29.12.52

GV
II
Hotel, formerly part of large mill complex known as King's Mills. Circa 1800, much extended 1964 and 1981. Original part is of ashlar with tiled roof and ashlar chimneys, and is Gothick in style.

Tall narrow block of four storeys. Band course at eaves level, battlemented gables with obelisk finials, some missing. North west gable end has tall central recess, rendered and whitewashed, with ogee arch at top. Wooden casements with diagonal leaded glazing, part renewed C20, the top floor with two-light window in ogee-arched head, the other windows of three lights. Lower windows are transomed. South east gable has similar untransomed casements with flush voussoir heads, the ground floor with four-light window and blocked door. South west side wall has matching C20 six-light windows, one to ground floor and two to first floor, and door to left in C20 gabled timber porch. To north east are large C20 extensions, rendered and whitewashed, with tiled roofs and leaded casements, not of special architectural interest.

King's Mills were medieval in origin, at first used only for corn milling and fulling. Paper mills were in existence by 1680, and later uses included plaster production using local gypsum from Chellaston, log-sawing and button-making. Mills were rebuilt c1800 by Lord Hastings in grand Gothick style on large scale, but suffered much fire damage 1864 and 1927.

Listing NGR: SK4175327471

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.