History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Buckshaw Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worden, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.6757 / 53°40'32"N

Longitude: -2.663 / 2°39'46"W

OS Eastings: 356299

OS Northings: 420123

OS Grid: SD562201

Mapcode National: GBR 9TVY.82

Mapcode Global: WH975.2V5Z

Entry Name: Buckshaw Hall

Listing Date: 11 July 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1362139

English Heritage Legacy ID: 357628

Location: Euxton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7

County: Lancashire

District: Chorley

Civil Parish: Euxton

Built-Up Area: Worden

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Euxton

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Leyland

Listing Text

SD 52 SE EUXTON off EUXTON LANE

3/111 Buckshaw Hall
11.7.1975
- II*


Manor house, probably early C17 or earlier, restored 1885, now
unoccupied. Square-panelled timber-framing on a plinth of large
sandstone blocks, with both wattle-and-daub and later brick infilling;
slate roof with a chimney on the ridge, an external chimney at right
side wall and another rising from the eaves behind this (all have brick
flues with tumbled bricks between the flues, and the first 2 rise from
stone stacks). H-plan with baffle-entry and 2-bay crosswings to a hall
range; projecting staircase turret behind hall. All 2 storeys; left
wing incorporates in the angle a 2-storey porch with its own gabled
rooflet, and a board door with slightly arched wooden lintel pegged
into flanking posts. Both wings have jettied 1st floors and gables,
with plaster coves and ovolo-moulded bressummers carried on scrolled
brackets. Front has angle-braced upper panels throughout the 1st floor
and at ground floor of left wing; curled braces form lozenge-shaped
upper panels at ground floor of right wing. Both gables have raking
struts, and collars; both have wavy bargeboards and finials probably
of 1885; left gable has ex situ datestone lettered ER , right has
1654.
similar datestone lettered TR Large modern casements at ground
C
1885.
floor of centre and of right wing, otherwise one replacement sliding
sash on each floor (all 3 lights except centre which is 4); close to
front corner of left return wall of left wing is a 1st floor 3-light
window with diamond-section wooden mullions. Rear has gabled staircase
turret in centre. Interior: altered, but baffle-entry with
back-to-back fireplaces at junction of hall part and north wing; that in
the wing (kitchen) has large inglenook with stop-chamfered bressummer
(and Victorian iron cooking range); some stone flagged floors; spiral
newel post staircase in north wing; parlour in right wing has C17
stone fireplace (to external chimney) with ovolo-moulded jambs and head;
stop-moulded beams; internal parition walls timber framed with wattle-
and-daub infil, and original doorcases with 4-centred lintels: many
joints numbered. Muntin and rail panelling now stored loose in parlour.
Though now in poor condition, propped in some places and with a large
hole in the rear wall, the building is probably the finest of its type
in the present County of Lancashire.


Listing NGR: SD5629920123

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.