History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Workhouse Building at No 54 (Sambourne Hospital)

A Grade II Listed Building in Warminster, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2004 / 51°12'1"N

Longitude: -2.1894 / 2°11'21"W

OS Eastings: 386864

OS Northings: 144590

OS Grid: ST868445

Mapcode National: GBR 1V5.R99

Mapcode Global: VH97P.03F3

Entry Name: Former Workhouse Building at No 54 (Sambourne Hospital)

Listing Date: 31 March 1978

Last Amended: 15 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364445

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312986

Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Warminster

Built-Up Area: Warminster

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Warminster

Listing Text

1.
5411 WARMINSTER SAMBOURNE ROAD
(West side)
Former workhouse
building at No 54
(Sambourne Hospital)
ST8644 3/155a

II

1836 Former Union Workhouse. Built to replace Lord Weymouth’s 1727 or 1757 Workhouse which stood actually on the Common. Like Christchurch, it was felt to be in a more salubrious situation away from the Common it served. 2 storeys, 1st floor of local rubblework, ground floor of channelled ashlar. Slate roof hipped to right. 9 windows front with central gabled break and 2 additional slightly set back windows to right. Glazing bar sashes, moulded architraves on 1st floor. Modern wide glazed gabled porch in front of central entrance. 3 wings in star plan to rear, 3 storeys, each of 7 bays with slight gabled break to centre; local rubblework with brick quoins and dressings and ashlar lintels grooved as brick flat arches to glazing bar sashes. Single story outbuildings to perimeter of star plus a 2 story staff cottage to north. The local rubblework low boundary walls can still be traced through now partially demolished. Circa 1836, 3-4ft high.

Listing NGR: ST8686444590

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.