This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.339 / 52°20'20"N
Longitude: -1.5317 / 1°31'54"W
OS Eastings: 432002
OS Northings: 271312
OS Grid: SP320713
Mapcode National: GBR 6MY.9LC
Mapcode Global: VHBXB.DGLS
Plus Code: 9C4W8FQ9+H8
Entry Name: Stables and Riding School 100 Yards North East of Stoneleigh Abbey
Listing Date: 30 November 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308143
Location: Stoneleigh, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV8
Civil Parish: Stoneleigh
Built-Up Area: Stoneleigh Park
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stoneleigh St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
6/271 Stables and Riding School
100 yards north-east of
30.11.82 Stoneleigh Abbey
Stables. 1814 by Charles S Smith of Warwick. Red sandstone ashlar in neo-Tudor
style. The stable range is D shaped on plan with the stables in half circle to
north with coach houses, tack room, feed stores, grooms' cottages along east-west
axis to south. Internal cobbled courtyard. The main entrance is on the west
and consists of a two storey central section with four-centre archway with hood
mould and large wooden doors, flanked by single storey wings to left and right.
Projecting octagonal angle pilasters with turrets and embattled parapets. Above
central entrance way a long square headed stone mullioned window of six leaded
lights with drip mould above. Central blocked panel to the window with heraldic
crest. The flanking portions each have a square headed stone mullioned three
light casement with leaded panes and drip mould above. Interior: early C19
wooden stalls with doors to stable range. Rib vaulted ceilings.
Riding School. 1820 by Charles S Smith of Warwick. Attached to south of
stables. Red sandstone ashlar with embattled parapet. Low pitched hipped slate
roof. Two storeys. Three 4-centred arches form loggia at ground floor and
three square headed 3-light casements with leaded lights and drip moulds.
Octagonal stair turret at south-west end of facade leads to the first floor
balcony inside at western end.
Listing NGR: SP3198771346
Other nearby listed buildings