This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6523 / 50°39'8"N
Longitude: -1.1612 / 1°9'40"W
OS Eastings: 459392
OS Northings: 83960
OS Grid: SZ593839
Mapcode National: GBR 9DM.17R
Mapcode Global: FRA 87GB.TPT
Entry Name: Christchurch
Listing Date: 14 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365368
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310205
Location: Sandown, Isle of Wight, PO36
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Sandown
Built-Up Area: Sandown
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Sandown Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
Church. Built 1845 by Woodman of Reading in Early English
style with further additions by Woodman in 1861 and by S E
Tomkins in 1874 who added the North aisle. Built of coursed
Isle of Wight stone with tiled roof. Built north to south.
Nave and chancel in one, north and south aisles and north-west
tower with integral porch. South-west tower of 2 stages
surmounted by stone steeple. Pointed arched doorcase with
carved human mask corbels. 1 trefoliated lancet. Upper stage
has clock face and bell openings with double lancets having
quatrefoils above. Nave has stepped buttresses and 5 double
trefoliated-headed windows with quatrefoil motif above.
(Ritual) west door has a circular rose window above and
pointed arched doorcase with granite columns dated 1878.
Transeptual Chapel and vestry. (Ritual) east window has
Interior has 3-bay nave with circular columns to (ritual)
north aisle and octagonal columns to (ritual) south aisle.
2-bay chancel, the arcades having naturalistic stiff leaf
capitals. Roof of arched braced type, with through purlins.
Octagonal stone font. Some stencilled decoration, including
organ pipes. The Princess Royal Chapel (to the right of the
altar) has a stained glass window donated by the Crown
Princess of Germany in 1874 (Princess Victoria).
Listing NGR: SZ5939283960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings