This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6464 / 50°38'47"N
Longitude: -1.1682 / 1°10'5"W
OS Eastings: 458909
OS Northings: 83301
OS Grid: SZ589833
Mapcode National: GBR 9DL.CHB
Mapcode Global: FRA 87FC.JQ8
Entry Name: Church of the Good Shepherd
Listing Date: 14 February 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310162
Location: Lake, Isle of Wight, PO36
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Lake
Built-Up Area: Sandown
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Lake The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ58SE LAKE ROAD
1352-0/4/126 Church of the Good Shepherd
Church. 1892 Architect Temple Moore in Decorated style with
flowing tracery . Built of stone rubble with pantiled roof and
partially timber-framed porch. Unusual double 3-bay nave with
central bellcote, 2-bay chancel flanked by Lady Chapel to
north-east and organ chamber to south-west and west porch
flanked by two rooms, one a vestry. West front has 2 gables
with 1 window each, the left-hand one with trefoil-headed
arches, the right-hand one cinquefoil headed. 1 storey porch
the whole width with two 3-light casements and central gabled
wooden and rendered gable with inscription "The Good Shepherd
giveth his life for the sheep". Cambered headed doorcase with
plank doors flanked by side lights. North nave has 2 double
cinquefoil-headed lights, south nave has 2 double
trefoil-headed lights, all with buttresses.
Interior: vestibule under west porch has central half-round
columns with wooden panelled doors either side leading to
naves, 4-panelled doors to clergy vestry and other room and
1/4 circle corner seats. Good iron handles and stone floor.
naves are divided by 3 stone arches with mouldings dying into
square piers, placed diagonally with chamfered angles. The
penultimate pair to the west has attached by a plinth an
octagonal stone font with quatrefoil motifs. Roofs of
crownpost type with ribbed ceiling having square carved and
boarded soffit. Octagonal carved wooden pulpit on stone base
and carved wooden eagle lectern. Good stained glass windows
including a panel depicting 1st World War soldiers. Chancel
has 2 tall chancel arches with dying mouldings and rectangular
light above, and arches divided by octagonal piers to form
Lady Chapel and organ loft. Large West window with flowing
tracery and good stained glass depicting Christ as the Good
Shepherd flanked by David as Shepherd boy and king. Good
wooden panelling to sanctuary, choir stalls and organ chamber.
(Buildings of England:Lloyd D:Hampshire and the Isle of
Listing NGR: SZ5890983301
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings