History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rose and Crown

A Grade II Listed Building in Wick, South Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4524 / 51°27'8"N

Longitude: -2.4267 / 2°25'35"W

OS Eastings: 370448

OS Northings: 172685

OS Grid: ST704726

Mapcode National: GBR JY.MQ9N

Mapcode Global: VH88Q.WRHG

Plus Code: 9C3VFH2F+X8

Entry Name: Rose and Crown

Listing Date: 15 August 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366045

English Heritage Legacy ID: 401806

Location: Wick and Abson, South Gloucestershire, BS30

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Wick and Abson

Built-Up Area: Wick

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Wick

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in



8/399 Rose and Crown

- II

Inn. Early - mid C17, later C18 and C19 alterations and additions, C20
alterations. Rubble, rendered, double Roman tiled roof with brick ridge and
gable stacks, also pantiles, slates and plain tiles. Originally 2- room through
passage plan, with additions to right and left and wing to right forming L-plan.
West elevation of 2 storeys and 4 windows, ground floor has canted bay with hipped
slate roof, C20 door with timber lintel, 2-light casement and canted bay in angle
of L-plan (in position of original door to through passage) with plain tiled roof;
first floor has four 2-light casements of varieds sizes, one C20 to right; level
of roof higher over 3 bays to left; 2-storey wing to right has door and 9-pane
fixed light, 2-light casement under eaves; attached to left a single storey
pantiled addition, formerly stable, with two 2-light casements. Right return has
single storey addition with blocked window in gable end, 2 C20 doors to rear;
decorative bargeboards at gable end of 2-storey wing. Rear has single storey C20
addition with concrete double Roman tiled roof, C20 windows to rear of single
storey addition to right. Interior: beam along right of through passage has
mortices for screen, slightly lower floor level to right, chamfered door frame to
left with segmental head, rear passage door blocked with timber lintel remaining;
winder stair to rear left, to left of passage fireplace with heavy cambered wooden
lintel, chamfered and stopped beams. First floor not inspected. Said to have
been an inn since 1742 and the birthplace of John Gully, champion prize-fighter of
England, born 21.8.1783.

Listing NGR: ST7044872685

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.