This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7936 / 53°47'36"N
Longitude: -1.7469 / 1°44'48"W
OS Eastings: 416771
OS Northings: 433060
OS Grid: SE167330
Mapcode National: GBR JLK.FN
Mapcode Global: WHC99.4XF4
Entry Name: 53 and 55, Leeds Road Bd1
Listing Date: 9 August 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366584
English Heritage Legacy ID: 336713
Location: Bradford, BD1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Bradford
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Peter Bradford
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
5111 LEEDS ROAD BD1
Nos 53 and 55
SE 1633 SE 37/708
Warehouse/offices on corner site with Vicar Lane and part of the "Little Germany"
mercantile precinct. Architect Eli Milnes, 1862. No 55 is a slightly later
extension in similar style. Four tall storeys, ashlar sandstone on rusticated
vermiculated basement storey. The corner bowed and slightly inset. Sill bands
and bracket cornice over raised ground floor. Heavy console bracket cornice over
third floor. Frieze and moulded eaves cornice. Section of pierced parapet between
chimneys over corner. Awkwardly arched ground floor windows with linking impost
string, cartouches set in spandrels to Leeds road front. First floor windows
have pilaster strips and cornices on console brackets. Engaged Doric columned
doorway to No 53 with deep full entablature.Similar pilastered doorway to No 55.
Above the latter rises a 5 storey quoin pilastered tower linking the 2 facades,
nearly flush with them, and serving to mark the slight change in angle of the
building line. The first floor has a pilastered oriel bow window, paired round
headed light to upper floor and top stage with clock faces over-arched by eaves
cornice, the corner supported by paired consoles. The right hand elevation,
No 55, had pedimented oeuil de boeuf dormers above third floor cornice. This
rich Italianate design holds an important corner site.
Listing NGR: SE1677133060
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings