This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7881 / 52°47'17"N
Longitude: -2.7049 / 2°42'17"W
OS Eastings: 352560
OS Northings: 321397
OS Grid: SJ525213
Mapcode National: GBR 7K.XHGD
Mapcode Global: WH8BG.F56Y
Plus Code: 9C4VQ7QW+63
Entry Name: Hardwicke Lodge
Listing Date: 29 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366776
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260038
Location: Hadnall, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Hadnall
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Grinshill All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 52 SW HADNALL C.P. A 49 (west side)
8/44 Hardwicke Lodge
Entrance lodge, now lodge. Early C19. Probably by Thomas Harrison
of Chester. Grey sandstone ashlar with slate roof. Tudor Gothic style.
Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses with chamfered offsets, moulded
parapet string course, and battlemented parapet with chamfered coping.
Stone ridge stack just off-centre to west consisting of a pair of octagonal
shafts with chamfered bases and moulded cornices. South side (at right
angles to road): 1:1:1 bays. Central canted bay of 1:2:1 glazing bar
sashes and with chamfered plinth and coved cornice. Flanking Tudor-
arched doorways, that to right has door with 6 flush panels and that
to left is blind. East (road) front: stone cross window with chamfered
reveals and returned hoodmould. Short section of adjoining wall set
back to right with stepped parapet screening lean-to at rear. Stone
cross window also in gable end to west with chamfered reveals and returned
hoodmould. Pedestrian gateway, gate pier and gate adjoining at south-
east corner. Short link with chamfered coping and pedestrian gateway
with chamfered reveals and wrought-iron gate. Large Gothic gate pier
of cruciform plan with chamfered base, arched-panels, and 4-way gabled
top. Large wrought-iron gate. The corresponding left-hand gate and
gate pier have been demolished but the section of screen wall (q.v.)
survives. This was formerly the east entrance lodge to Hardwick Grange,
also by Harrison but now demolished. It was the home of the first
Viscount Hill (d.1842). A lodge dated 1899 (not included on this list)
also survives to the south of the former park. B.O.E., p.139.
Listing NGR: SJ5256021397
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings