This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5792 / 52°34'45"N
Longitude: -2.6754 / 2°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 354327
OS Northings: 298145
OS Grid: SO543981
Mapcode National: GBR BM.BQ16
Mapcode Global: WH8CF.WF5K
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366863
English Heritage Legacy ID: 258806
Location: Church Preen, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Church Preen
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Church Preen
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 59 NW; 7/24
CHURCH PREEN C.P.,
Church of St John the Baptist
Parish church, formerly part monastic. Circa 1220-50, restored 1866
with south chapel of c.1920-25. Uncoursed limestone rubble with ashlar
dressings, machine tile roof. Nave and chancel in one with west
bellcote; north porch and vestry, south chancel chapel.
Nave: north wall
has two lancets, one of 1866 to west and an original lancet with transom
and low-side window below to east; gabled stone porch to west probably
C17 but restored when adjoining vestry was added to west in 1866;
south wall has two lancets and a pointed doorway to east, all of 1866;
west wall also largely re-built at this date, external gabled bellcote
with buttresses beneath,forming narrow pointed arch to ground, frames
window of two paired lancets. Chancel: in two bays, original lancets to
north and one on south which also has embattled south chapel (now partly
roofless) concealing blocked C13 doorway; original east window of three
lancets, unusually all of same height, and internally under a segmental
INTERIOR: retains original long narrow plan but
considerably restored 1866, especially at west end; pointed north door-
way renewed at this time and most of the fittings and furnishings are
contemporary including continuous trussed rafter roof to nave and
chancel; latter has C13 trefoil-headed piscina in south wall and
recessed sedile below lancet immediately to west, 2 corbels for statues
flank east window, blocked doorway with shouldered arch was presumably
the monks' entrance to the church; reading desk dated 1646 has initials
"ID" and the letter "S" backwards, pulpit probably a little later,
contemporary re-used panelling fixed to walls; Romanesque-style font
on clustered shaft mid-C19 but square-shaped basin in north porch may
be C13; another font (now in south chapel) is probably late C13/early
C14 - octagonal, the diagonal sides being shorter and ending in small
broaches; stained glass in east and west windows c.1870 and c.1900
respectively with pre-Raphaelite style glass to north-east and north-
west windows of chancel. The yew tree in the churchyard is said to
be one of the oldest in England. Founded as a cell of the Cluniac
Abbey at Much Wenlock c.1150, the eastern part of the church was
monastic and the western part parochial; the house was dissolved
B.o.E., Pp.99-100; V.C.H.VIII (1968), p.128; D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp.470-3.
Listing NGR: SO5432798145
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings