This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3986 / 52°23'54"N
Longitude: -2.937 / 2°56'13"W
OS Eastings: 336344
OS Northings: 278252
OS Grid: SO363782
Mapcode National: GBR B8.Q5LN
Mapcode Global: VH76C.1ZP4
Plus Code: 9C4V93X7+C6
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 257678
Location: Hopton Castle, Shropshire, SY7
Civil Parish: Hopton Castle
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hopton Castle
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 37 NE
HOPTON CASTLE C.P.
Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1870-1 by T. Nicholson on medieval site. Roughly coursed
rock-faced limestone rubble with chamfered plinth and ashlar dressings; graded
slate roofs with ornamental cresting and foliated iron crosses to gables.
Nave with west bellcote, chancel, south porch and north vestry; Decorated
style. Nave in 3 bays with broad cusped lancet to centre and window of 2
cusped lights with head-stops and quatrefoil above in gable breaking eaves
to right. Gabled porch in west bay has moulded ogee arch to outer tie beam
and rubblestone side walls; Decorated-style south doorway with hoodmould and
head-stops. Gabled external west bellcote has twin cusped openings housing
bells and stone crosses to east and west sides; shaft supporting it has tall
cusped lancet with hoodmould and head-stops. North side similar to south
without porch but plus integral stone stack with octagonal shaft to north-east
corner. Chancel. South side has broad trefoil-headed lancets with
continuous moulded cill band. East window of 3 cusped lights with 2 quatrefoils
flanking central sexfoil has hoodmould and head-stops. North side
has trefoil-headed lancet with lean-to vestry to west. This has trefoil-
headed doorway on north and broad cusped lancets to east and west. INTERIOR.
Trussed rafter roof with scissor bracing in 12 short bays to nave with trusses
to either side of easternmost windows resting on carved stone corbels; similar
roof in 9 bays to chancel. Pointed chancel arch has hoodmould with head-
stops and elaborately carved Byzantine-style corbelled responds. Fittings
and furnishings including pews, choir stalls, elaborately carved stone pulpit
and font, encaustic tiles to floor and reredos and harmonium all apparently
of roughly the same date. Stained glass in east window in memory of Henry
Yelverton Beale (died 1869) with similar glass in other chancel windows.
No monuments of note. Originally a dependent chapelry of Clun, Hopton Castle
became a separate parish in C13. B.o.E. p. 153; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) p. 402.
Listing NGR: SO3634478252
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings