This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6912 / 51°41'28"N
Longitude: -1.6406 / 1°38'26"W
OS Eastings: 424937
OS Northings: 199221
OS Grid: SU249992
Mapcode National: GBR 5V7.S23
Mapcode Global: VHC0C.JR0D
Plus Code: 9C3WM9R5+FP
Entry Name: Village Hall
Listing Date: 30 March 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1367766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253820
Location: Kelmscott, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, GL7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Kelmscott
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Broadwell with Kelmscott
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
10/68 Village Hall
Village hall. 1934 (datestone) to design by Ernest Gimson (d.1919). Regularly
coursed limestone rubble with alternating angle quoins; stone slate roof.
L-plan. One storey with attic to projecting gabled range on right. Main range:
square-headed plank double door to far left under bracketed flat-pedimented
stone hood. 3-light mullion windows with dripstones to centre and right.
Projecting range to right has 4-light mullion window with dripstone and narrow
round-headed rectangular slit opening to apex. Left return has similar doorway
to main range in angle to left with straight-cut stops to chamfered lintel; flat
stone hood supported by stone corner post to right with stone bench attached to
right. 4-light mullion window with dripstone above bench, all windows with
leaded lights. Stone inscribed "WH/1834-1934" at ground level to front gable.
Right return has battered external lateral stack with 2 attached and rebated
shafts; integral end stack to right of main range. Lower L-shaped range attached
to right of main range. A public appeal for funds to build the village hall was
launched in 1928 and the building was opened by George Bernard Shaw in 1934.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp666-7; A.R. Dufty: Kelmscott, An
Illustrated Guide: (London, The Society of Antiquaries, 1984), p30)
Listing NGR: SU2493799221
Other nearby listed buildings