This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9574 / 51°57'26"N
Longitude: -1.119 / 1°7'8"W
OS Eastings: 460638
OS Northings: 229131
OS Grid: SP606291
Mapcode National: GBR 8WS.CWQ
Mapcode Global: VHCWY.K299
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243617
Location: Fringford, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX27
Civil Parish: Fringford
Built-Up Area: Fringford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Fringford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
FRINGFORD MAIN STREET
SP6029-6129 (West side)
18/24 Church of St. Michael and All
Church. Late C12 origins rebuilt piecemeal in C19, the chancel in 1821, the
north aisle in 1829 and 1905, the tower added in 1831 replacing a wooden belfry,
south aisle rebuilt by G.E. Street in 1857. Coursed limestone rubble and
squared, coursed limestone. Slate and lead roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south
aisles, west tower, south porch. 4-window range. Chancel has a C19 3-light
Perpendicular style window and two 2-light C19 lancet style windows on north and
south with quatrefoils in head. Pointed arched priest's door on south. North
aisle has a restored, 3-light Decorated style window on east, three 2-light
lancet style windows on north with quatrefoils in heads and a 2-light
Reticulated window on west. C19 buttresses. South aisle has restored and C19
2-light Decorated style windows on east, south and west. Offset buttresses. Nave
has two 2-light Perpendicular clerestory windows with leaded lights and square
heads with hood moulds and label stops on south and two similar C19 windows on
north. C19 south porch. Restored C12 south doorway. West tower of 3 stages with
diagonal buttresses and shallow C19 stone parapet. Pointed arched south doorway.
Lancet window to first stage, 2-light Decorated window with louvres to
bell-stop. Diagonal buttresses. String to upper stage. Chancel has a C19 roof,
nave has a 5-bay arched tie beam roof with renewed purlins. 2 bay C12 north
arcade with round piers with trumpet scallop decorated on capitals. 3 bay
Perpendicular south arcade. 2 piers with grotesque heads. Medieval screen.
Pulpit with C16 panels. 2 fonts, one Perpendicular, the other of 1880. C19
fittings and furnishings including carved bench ends. Wall memorials in north
aisle to Henry and Anthony Addington, 1729 and 1790.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, pp607-8; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol VI,
Listing NGR: SP6063829131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings