History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade I Listed Building in Laxton, Newark, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1958 / 53°11'44"N

Longitude: -0.9207 / 0°55'14"W

OS Eastings: 472200

OS Northings: 367068

OS Grid: SK722670

Mapcode National: GBR BHM.N1G

Mapcode Global: WHFGV.TXRX

Plus Code: 9C5X53WH+8P

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 11 August 1961

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370158

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241903

Location: Laxton and Moorhouse, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Laxton and Moorhouse

Built-Up Area: Laxton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Laxton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/11/2014

SK 76 NW

HIGH STREET (south side)
Church of St. Michael

(Formerly listed under MAIN STREET)


Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored and partly rebuilt 1859-
60 by Hine and Evans. Coursed squared rubble and dressed stone
with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, gabled and pyramidal, with
coped gables and gabled kneelers. Chamfered plinths. West
tower, nave, north aisle, north aisle chapel, south aisle,
chancel, south chancel chapel, south porch. West tower, C13 and
c.1490, rebuilt and re-roofed 1859, 3 stages, has 2 string
courses, eaves band with gargoyles, crenellated parapet with 8
crocketed pinnacles. To west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs.
First stage has to west stair turret on north east corner.
Doorway, C13, 3 orders, with filleted shafts and moulded head
with hood mould and mask stops. To left, 2 stair lights.
Above, C14 ogee headed double lancet with hood mould. Second
stage has to south and west, clock, and to north, 2 slit lights.
Third stage has 4 double lancet bell openings with cusped heads
and hood moulds. West side has mask stops. Nave, 6 bays,
c.1490, shortened by 2 bays 1860, has panelled crenellated
parapet with on each side, 8 crocketed pinnacles and 7 large
gargoyles. North parapet has panel with Bishop and deer
referring to Archbishop Rotherham. On each side, 6 C15 triple
lancets with cusped heads, four centred arched openings and
linked hood mould. Partly restored. North aisle, mainly C19, 3
bays, has 2 diagonal and 2 intermediate buttresses, 2 setoffs.
North side has 3 C15 triple lancets, restored, with ogee heads,
square headed reveals and hood moulds. West end has C14 style
double lancet with cusped heads, hood mould and stops. North
chancel chapel and vestry, 3 bays, C19, has 3 plain buttresses,
chamfered plinth, coped east gable with gabled kneelers. North
side has to east, C13 style door with flanking shafts, moulded
head, hood mould and mask stops. To west, 2 C15 style double
lancets with ogee heads, four centred arched heads, heads, and
hood moulds with stops. East end has C13 style double lancet
with hood mould and stops. South aisle, rebuilt 1860, 3 bays,
has 2 diagonal and single intermediate buttresses. South side
has, to east, 2 C15 triple lancets with cusped ogee heads, square
headed reveals and hood moulds. West end has a C14 double
lancet with cusped heads, quatrefoil motif, restored hood mould
and foliate stops. Chancel, early C14, 4 bays, has 2 moulded
string courses and 2 gabled diagonal buttresses at east end. To
east, on each side, a narrow C15 double lancet with cusped ogee
heads and transom, shield motif and hood mould. On each side,
to west, 3 C15 double lancets with cusped ogee heads and four
centred arched reveals, those to south chamfered. South side
has, to east, moulded rectangular low side window. East end has
replica C14 5 light lancet with 4 shafts, cusped quatrefoils
in circles, moulded reveal, hood mould and angel stops. South
chancel chapel, C19, has 3 plain buttresses. East end has C14
style double lancet with cusped heads, hood mould and mask stops.
South side has 3 C15 style double lancets with ogee heads,
quatrefoil motif, four centred arched reveals and hood moulds
with mask and foliate stops. South porch, 1860, C14 style. To
south, 2 flanking buttresses, doorway with flanking shafts,
foliate capitals, hood mould and mask stops. East side has a
double lancet with cusped heads in square headed reveal.
Outside, discarded stone sundial, 1820. Interior has stone
benches and principal rafter roof with collars. Inner south
doorway, C19 in C13 style, has flanking shafts with moulded
foliate capitals, head with keeled roll mould, and hood mould
with foliate stops. C19 diagonal boarded doors. North and south
nave arcades, C13. 3 bays. 4 round piers with moulded round
bases and capitals. 4 half pier responds with moulded bases and
capitals. Arches double chamfered and rebated, with linked hood
moulds and mask stops. North side has 4 figure corbels and 3
smaller angel corbels. South side has 4 figure corbels and 3
damaged beast corbels. Square pilasters between clerestory
windows. Moulded C15 roof, restored 1860,with crenellated
corbels, curved brackets, shield and foliate bosses. Plain boss
inscribed 'GT TA 1738'. Tower arch, C13, double chamfered and
rebated, half pier responds with water holding bases and
chamfered capitals. Renaissance Revival style panelled oak
screen, 1935, with obelisk finials. North aisle has to east, 3
bay panelled oak screen, 1522, restored C20, with pierced
traceried panels. Moulded transom and crest with Latin
inscriptions and date. To east again, C14 arch, double
chamfered with filleted shafts with octagonal capitals. C19
lean-to roof with diagonal matchboard. South aisle has similar
roof and arch at east end. Chancel arch, C14, double chamfered,
with rounded keeled shafts and run-out bases. Rood screen, oak,
7 bays, C15, has ogee heads, perpendicular traceried panels,
panelled transom. Largely restored. Chancel has on each side a
3 bay arcade with clustered keeled shafts and 3 matching
responds, linked hood moulds with restored shield stops. Single
pier on south side, to west, has water holding base. South east
respond has damaged ogee headed niche. East end has to north
moulded C14 door with elaborate ogee head and hood mould.
Traceried panelled door, 1937. To east, Easter sepulchre, C14,
with crocketed ogee head, flanking shafts, Decorated tracery,
ogee hood mould with crocketed finial, and containing C20 aumbry.
East end has to left, moulded square bracket, C15. Oak reredos,
1900, with traceried panels. To right, bracket with blank shield
and angel corbel. South side has to east, chamfered squint and
to its right, C14 double piscina with central shaft, ogee headed
openings with Decorated tracery, hood mould and mask stops. To
west again, C14 triple sedilia with moulded arms between seats.
Elaborate canopy with 3 ogee headed openings, crocketed finials
and crests. Canopies have tierceron vaults. Roof, C15, partly
renewed 1860, has cambered moulded tie beams with king posts and
minor struts to moulded purlins. Diagonal matchboarding and C19
principal rafters. South chancel chapel and north aisle chapel
have roofs matching north aisle. Fittings include font, C17,
octagonal bowl with moulded rim, clustered keeled shaft on
chamfered square base. C20 timber cover with traceried panels,
angel finials, concave conical top and crocketed finial.
Octagonal pulpit, 1916. Chamfered and moulded C19 benches,
panelled clergy desk, late C19, communion table, C17, moulded
stretchers and reeded square legs. 2 restored C17 armchairs with
carved panelled backs. C18 oak chest wth bracket feet.
Octagonal oak poor box. Cast iron box, 1818. Carved timber
lectern 1898 and desk lectern 1927. Effigy of BVM, C20.
Monuments include 3 painted stone slabs, 1811, 1818 and 1822
recording benefactions, all signed or initialled by J. Trusswell.
2 moulded panels, C19 containing Terrier. Table tomb with 4
shafts, ballflower ornament and angel bosses, with stone figures
of Knight and lady, and oak figure of second lady, to Adam de
Everingham, 1341. 2 mutilated figures of Knights, C13, and C14,
on C20 bases, and moulded panelled base with effigy of Knight,
C14. All to members of de Everingham family, 1287, 1387 and
1398. C17 slate tablet with angel corbel and above, draped
cartouche. Brasses 1860 and 4 C20. Marble and slate war
memorial tablet, 1919.

Listing NGR: SK7220067068

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.