This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9465 / 54°56'47"N
Longitude: -1.9727 / 1°58'21"W
OS Eastings: 401848
OS Northings: 561315
OS Grid: NZ018613
Mapcode National: GBR GCN7.QM
Mapcode Global: WHB2F.NXVT
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 18 June 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370262
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240437
Location: Broomhaugh and Riding, Northumberland, NE44
Civil Parish: Broomhaugh and Riding
Built-Up Area: Riding Mill
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: St James, Riding Mill
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BROOMHAUGH AND RIDING CHURCH LANE (Broomhaugh)
22/70 Church of St. James
Parish church, 1858 by Matthew Thompson; eastern parts 1879 (except for north
vestries of 1962). Snecked stone, eastern parts tooled squared stone; ashlar
dressings; slate roofs. Aisleless 4-bay nave, with narrower west tower with
porch to south. Taller crossing and south transept with porch on east;
polygonal sanctuary with small flanking chambers. Free C13 style, more
enriched in later parts. Nave with stepped buttress bay divisions and
trefoiled lancets. Tower becoming octagonal above low angle buttresses; west
window and belfry openings, the latter under steep gablets, are trefoiled
lancets with cusped spheric triangles in heads; octagonal stone spire. Gabled
porch with diagonal buttresses; boarded doors with ornamental ironwork under
double-chamfered arch with head stops to hoodmould, 2 spheric triangle lights
in west wall. Eastern parts have stepped buttresses and trefoiled lancets,
taller in transept. Foliate hood stops and transept gable cross. Sanctuary
has ridge of pierced cinquefoils and wrought-iron finial cross; south-east
porch has similar doors to main porch, under trefoiled arch, and 2-light C14
style window on east.
Interior. Plain chamfered tower arch, tall hollow-chamfered arch to crossing.
Moulded sanctuary arch with foliate caps and head stops, flanked by smaller
segmental-pointed arches to side chambers. Sanctuary has segmental-pointed
arches to side chambers and trefoil-headed niches further east. Crossing/
transept has lofty roof with arch-braced trusses carried on moulded wall shafts.
Ornate stone and marble pulpit. Early C20 glass (Northumbrian saints) in nave
Listing NGR: NZ0184861315
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings