This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4139 / 55°24'50"N
Longitude: -1.7098 / 1°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 418467
OS Northings: 613371
OS Grid: NU184133
Mapcode National: GBR J5HV.M2
Mapcode Global: WHC1K.P5ZY
Entry Name: Coates the Printers
Listing Date: 12 August 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 361427
Location: Alnwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnwick
Built-Up Area: Alnwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
The following building shall be added:-
NU 1813 SW NEW ROW
905-/4/10000 Coates The Printers
Former Mission Hall and Soup Kitchen, now a printers works.
1886. Designed by F R Wilson. Rubble stone with ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs with ornate bargeboards, topped by two
square ventilators with pyramidal roofs. A single gable and
four wall stacks. Quoins. 2 storey, with the taller Mission
Hall on the upper foor.
East front has three 4-light cross casements, with between to
the left two small shuttered openings and between to the right
a doorway with a low plank door and tall 2-light overlight,
beyond to the right a blocked door. Above three tall canted
bay windows sunk into the wall, each with 4-light cross
casements with moulded heads, between to the left a flush
stack and to the right an external stack supported on corbels
which form the head of the lower door.
South front has a two storey canted projection with a single
two storey canted bay window. There is a low attched wall with
a blocked gateway bearing the date, 1886.
West front has three tall two storey canted bay windows sunk
into the wall with ornate timber gables with barge boards.
Between to the left is a doorway with plank door and moulded
arched head and overlight. Between on the upper floors two
external stacks supported on stone corbels. To the right a
cross casement and beyond a projecting gabled porch, with
pointed arched doorway with double plank doors. Above a
quatrofoil with a blank shield.
Listing NGR: NU1846913373
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings