History in Structure

The Old Custom House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ipswich, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.0528 / 52°3'10"N

Longitude: 1.1589 / 1°9'32"E

OS Eastings: 616683

OS Northings: 244092

OS Grid: TM166440

Mapcode National: GBR TMW.CSJ

Mapcode Global: VHLBT.1NJN

Plus Code: 9F433535+4H

Entry Name: The Old Custom House

Listing Date: 19 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374818

English Heritage Legacy ID: 275488

ID on this website: 101374818

Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP4

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

Electoral Ward/Division: Alexandra

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Ipswich

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Mary-le-Tower

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in



The Old Custom House
TM 1644 SE 4/98 19.12.51.


Erected in 1844 for the Corporation of Ipswich close to the site of the earlier
custom house, it was designed by J M Clark an Ipswich architect. It is an
imposing red brick building with grey gault brick dressings. The main frontage
faces south towards the docks and comprises a tall single storey above a
high arcaded basement with brick rustications and a stone blocking course,
a central projecting Tetrastyle Tuscan portico with a pediment with sculptured
tympanum and end pavilions marked by grey brick rustications. The central
portico is approached by a Palladian staircase with a double flight of stone
balustraded steps on each side and a deep semi-circular domed arch in the
centre, with rusticated brick voussoirs and keystone and a small central
doorway with massive rustications. A central panelled and studded door with
a semi-circular arched head and stone architrave has 2 flanking Venetian
style windows with stone surrounds under the portico. The outer windows
are tall casements with stone shouldered architraves, pulvinated friezes
and pediments. The end pavilions have windows with pilasters and cornices
surmounted by semi-circular, domed recesses with shell ornamentation. A string
course runs at window sill level with panelled brick aprons beneath the windows.
The east and west fronts each have 2 storeys above the arcaded basement
3 window range, casements, in grey brick surrounds. The north front has 4
storeys. 8 window range, double-hung sashes with glazing bars, in grey brick
surrounds on the 2nd and 3rd storeys and set in recessed brick panels with
semi-circular heads on the ground and lst storeys. The centre part of rusticated
brick breaks forward slightly with a semi-circular arched doorway and fanlight
surmounted by a Venetian style window with grey brick rusticated pilasters,
cornice and a voussoired brick arch. At the east end a pavilion of one window
range breaks forward slightly and at the west end there is a tall square
tower with 3 storeys of open arches and one with blocked arches surmounted
by a clock on each of the faces, all set in recessed brick panels. The roof
is pantiled with a wide overhanging eaves soffit on brackets which is carried
out ever the portico and pediment and is repeated on the tower.

Listing NGR: TM1668344092

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.