This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8473 / 53°50'50"N
Longitude: -1.5945 / 1°35'40"W
OS Eastings: 426774
OS Northings: 439078
OS Grid: SE267390
Mapcode National: GBR B60.4N
Mapcode Global: WHC95.GKYH
Entry Name: Lawnswood Cemetery Chapels and Crematorium
Listing Date: 5 August 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375312
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466207
Location: Leeds, LS16
Electoral Ward/Division: Adel and Wharfedale
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Adel St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
OTLEY ROAD, Lawnswood
Lawnswood Cemetery Chapels and
2 chapels linked by a colonnade and an added crematorium. The
chapels and colonnade 1870-76 by George Corson, the
crematorium added 1905, by WS Braithwaite. Coursed squared
gritstone, tiled roofs. Gothic Revival style.
Chapel group: to north a Church of England chapel of 3 bays
with 2-light windows, buttresses, polygonal apse at N end, an
octagonal turret with louvred belfry and tiled spire roof at
SE corner. An open cloister of 3 arches, the columns of
polished Aberdeen granite, links to the nonconformist chapel
which is set at right angles and has large 3-light
stained-glass windows with circular tracery and carved
spandrels in the gable ends.
The crematorium: 5 bays in similar style, attached to the S
end of the chapel group. Gothic-style windows, buttresses,
coped gables with ball finials; tall square tower (chimney
flue) at NW corner with octagonal 'belfry' stage. A plaque in
the basement records that this crematorium was the first of
its kind in the United Kingdom, opened 4 January 1905; an
architect's drawing is dated January 1904.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Lawnswood Cemetery was opened in 1875, the
church portion consecrated by the Bishop of Ripon on 31
December. Each chapel had an attached robing room, hot water
pipes and radiators, the cost was »7,500. George Corson was
responsible for the layout of the cemetery which was needed
for the expanding population of the suburbs of Headingley and
Listing NGR: SE26977439078
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings