This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.848 / 53°50'52"N
Longitude: -1.5929 / 1°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 426880
OS Northings: 439160
OS Grid: SE268391
Mapcode National: GBR B60.GD
Mapcode Global: WHC95.HJPX
Entry Name: Gravestone of George Corson at Ngr 2688 3916
Listing Date: 11 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466213
Location: Leeds, LS16
Electoral Ward/Division: Adel and Wharfedale
Built-Up Area: Leeds
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Adel St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE23NE OTLEY ROAD, Lawnswood
714-1/6/938 (West side (off))
Gravestone of George Corson at NGR
Gravestone. 1910. Granite. In the form of a Celtic ring cross
with 5 bosses, on a low pedestal, approx 1.75m high overall.
Raised lettering in sunken plaque on the base: 'IN LOVING
MEMORY OF/ GEORGE CORSON/ ARCHITECT/ SON OF JAMES CORSON/ OF
BEREHOLM, DUMFRIES/ NOV 18th 1910, AGED 80/ GOD IS LOVE'. On
the right return of the base: 'HARRIOT MARY/ GOUGH CORSON/ HIS
WIFE/ DIED MAY 4th 1928/ AGED 77 YEARS/ AT REST'. The kerbs
have been lowered.
HISTORICAL NOTE: George Corson practised in Leeds from 1849
until c1901 and was one of the city's most prominent
architects, first president of the Leeds Architectural Society
(founded 1876) and re-elected as President of the re-named
Leeds and Yorkshire Architectural Society in 1897-99. Linstrum
(1978) catalogued over 40 buildings by him, in Classical and
Gothic Revival style, many of which are listed. They include:
East Parade offices; No.28 Great George Street; Spenfield,
Otley Road; Grand Theatre; Municipal Buildings and School
Board Offices, Calverley Street. He designed the buildings and
layout of Lawnswood Cemetery and his was the first grave in
the new extension (Wilson, p.36).
(Linstrum, D: West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture:
London: 1978-: 375; Wilson, T Butler: Two Leeds Architects:
Cuthbert Brodrick and George Corson: 1937-).
Listing NGR: SE2688039160
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings