History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Newlay Bridge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Horsforth, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8282 / 53°49'41"N

Longitude: -1.6387 / 1°38'19"W

OS Eastings: 423876

OS Northings: 436943

OS Grid: SE238369

Mapcode National: GBR KS05.0F

Mapcode Global: WHC9B.S1VK

Plus Code: 9C5WR9H6+7G

Entry Name: Newlay Bridge

Listing Date: 5 August 1976

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375481

English Heritage Legacy ID: 466379

Location: Horsforth, Leeds, LS18

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Horsforth

Built-Up Area: Horsforth

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Horsforth St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Tagged with: Bridge

Find accommodation in
Farsley

Listing Text

The asset was previously listed twice also under List entry 1240013, in the parish of Horsforth. This entry was removed from the List on 6th May 2015.

SE23NW
714-1/5/1013
05/08/76

LEEDS
POLLARD LANE, Newlay
Newlay Bridge

II*

Public road bridge over River Aire. Dated 1819, restored
c1985. Cast and wrought-iron, with sandstone abutments.
Battered sandstone abutments each end; single segmental span
of 4 slender H-section ribs interconnected by regular
cast-iron lattice braces, stayed by wrought-iron rods to
slender joists supporting deck; a plaque at the keystone
position has raised lettering: 'JP/ AD1819'; low parapet of
panelled iron carrying railings. Sett-paved deck with tarmac
side pavements; protected on both sides by stick-baluster
railings in sections between openwork standards which have
diamond-latticed panels at the bottom and Y-tracery panels at
the top.
Attached to both inner sides of the standards in the centre is
an oval plaque with raised lettering: 'JOHN/ POLLARD/ NEWLEY
HOUSE/ ERECTED THIS/ BRIDGE/ A.D/ 1819..'; an oval plaque with
small lettering on the same casting: 'AYDON & ELWELL/ SHELF/
IRON WORKS/ NEAR BRADFORD/ YORKSHIRE'.
One of only 2 such bridges built by Aydon and Elwell surviving
in this county; the other is the Gasworks bridge at Sowerby
Bridge. One of the oldest iron bridges in Yorkshire, it was
erected in 1819 to connect Whitecote with the Leeds-Horsforth
turnpike. Pollard's scribbling mill and weaving shed stood on
the S side of the river, E side of Pollard Lane. The parapet
railings were replaced and the cobbles relaid in the 1980s.
(Thomas RCN: A Noble Scene of Industry: 33; Brears P: Museum
of Leeds Trail: 40).

Listing NGR: SE 23876 36943

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.