History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Officers Barracks Tilbury Fort

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tilbury Riverside and Thurrock Park, Thurrock

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4529 / 51°27'10"N

Longitude: 0.3756 / 0°22'32"E

OS Eastings: 565154

OS Northings: 175336

OS Grid: TQ651753

Mapcode National: GBR NMC.ZQC

Mapcode Global: VHJLC.GRD1

Plus Code: 9F32F93G+56

Entry Name: Officers Barracks Tilbury Fort

Listing Date: 8 July 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375568

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469532

Location: Thurrock, RM18

County: Thurrock

Electoral Ward/Division: Tilbury Riverside and Thurrock Park

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: East and West Tilbury and Linford

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Gravesend

Description

TILBURY
TQ 67 NE

126-0/11/10015
Officer's barracks, Tilbury Fort

GV II*

Terrace of approx. 22 officers'houses in fort, now 7 houses and museum. 1772, by the Board of Ordnance; altered early C19. Yellow stock brick with brick ridge stacks and a steep slate hipped valley roof Mid Georgian style. PLAN: double-depth plan, possibly originally back to back. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 23-window range. Symmetrical front has brick cornice and parapet. Central keyed round-arched doorway with 6-panel door, small flanking lights, all beneath a wide ground-floor pediment, and a first-floor oculus; flat-headed doorways with bracketed canopies to panelled doors in the end bays, and paired to bays 6 and 7 from both ends. Rubbed brick flat arches to 6/6-pane sashes, half the original small 3/3-pane sashes with thick glazing bars on the first-floor have been replaced by deeper sashes as the ground floor. Rear elevation similar, with canopied doorways to the feat, third, seventh and central bays, from each end; all but the middle two windows on the first floor are original. INTERIOR: central house preserved as a museum, has a central axial dogleg stair, Ordnance Board iron grates, and original joinery. Each one originally had 2 fireplaces, the houses were knocked together as the fort was occupied with fewer officers during the nineteenth century. HISTORY: believed to have been rebuilt on the site of the late C17 officers' range, itself rebuilt in 1742, and is a good and rare example of Ordnance Board housing at this time. It is also of interest for its use of the terrace plan for providing officers' lodgings. Part of one of the finest and most complete late C17 forts in England, it is listed as a free-standing building independent from the Scheduled fortifications and attached structures. (Saunders A: Fortress Britain: Liphook: 1989-: 76; Saunders A: Tilbury Fort, English Heritage Guide: London: 1985-:12,25).


Listing NGR: TQ6515475336

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.