History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Catholic Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1944 / 53°11'39"N

Longitude: -2.8865 / 2°53'11"W

OS Eastings: 340872

OS Northings: 366739

OS Grid: SJ408667

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2MCZ

Mapcode Global: WH887.MYPY

Plus Code: 9C5V54V7+QC

Entry Name: The Catholic Club

Listing Date: 19 May 1995

Last Amended: 23 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375710

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469689

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Description


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4066 BROOK STREET
1932-1/6/20 (South East side)
19/05/95 No.24
The Catholic Club
(Formerly Listed as:
BROOK STREET
Ye Olde Bowling Green Hotel)

II

Hotel, later public house, now licensed club. 1913-14. By John
Davies and Sons. For Greenall Whitley and Co. English garden
wall bond red-brown brick with yellow sandstone dressings and
timber frame with plaster panels; pebbledash; graded
Westmorland green slate roof. Frontages in Vernacular Revival
style, the domestic rear in Queen Anne style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; two 3-window wings at right angles, one
to Brook Street, the other to Milton Street deeply recessed to
contain a corner entrance. Ground floor of brick dressed with
yellow sandstone; mullioned and transomed leaded casements and
canted bay windows to each wing; double part-glazed panelled
oak doors in Roman Doric porch with entablature and upper
storey of stone-dressed brick between 2 projecting plinthed
chimneys with lozenge flues. The first floor has ornate small
framing with jetties on herms and quadrant and curved
herringbone braces; mullioned leaded casements and oriels;
well-handled informally composed roofs.
The rear is pebbledashed; a one-storey rear wing provides
balcony to first floor with shaped splat balusters; small-pane
windows standing proud of wall-face; 2 canted bays; modillion
cornices and eaves; 5 plinthed chimneys with lozenge flues
INTERIOR not inspected, but externally visible rooms appear to
have had some features removed.
This item is the most substantial and well-composed example of
John Davies's Vernacular Revival public houses in Chester.
(Chester City Council and Committees: Improvement Committee
Minutes: 5/2/1913).


Listing NGR: SJ4087266739

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.