This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1919 / 53°11'30"N
Longitude: -2.871 / 2°52'15"W
OS Eastings: 341901
OS Northings: 366443
OS Grid: SJ419664
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2YZH
Mapcode Global: WH88F.W11C
Plus Code: 9C5V54RH+QH
Entry Name: 1, 3 AND 5, CHRISTLETON ROAD (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375744
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469723
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ4166 CHRISTLETON ROAD
1932-1/6/45 (North side)
10/01/72 Nos.1, 3 AND 5
Includes: No.2A TARVIN ROAD.
4 shops and living accommodation. 1898-1900. By John Douglas
as architect and owner. Squared snecked red sandstone rubble,
timber framing with plaster panels and Ruabon red brick;
grey-green slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys to the prominent, acute, street corner;
2-storey wing to Christleton Road and, shorter, to Tarvin
Road. The 3 elements are described separately.
3-storey block: 5 faces, with canted end to street corner.
Stone ground floor with shop window to end and right oblique
face; shorter window in moulded case to left; part-glazed
Douglas door in stone case and 3-light mullioned window right;
round stone-dressed red-brick stair turret, left, with framed
and boarded door. Jettied timber-framed first floor has 2
rails, baluster posts, mullioned windows, upper lights leaded,
then panels between brackets to second floor jetty. The second
floor has herringbone strutting and 3 gabled 2-light
part-leaded dormers in roof forming short octagonal spire with
lead finial and weather-vane. The stair-turret has loops and a
conical spire with lead finial.
The projecting 2-storey wing to Christleton Road, right, has
three C20 replaced shop windows, only the stone piers visible
of the original design. The first floor has a row of
herringbone-strutted small framing beneath a continuous range
of mullioned partly leaded glazing including a 6-light
round-ended oriel; 2 small-framed gables with quadrant braces.
The projecting left wing to Tarvin Road has replaced
shop-front, first floor with herringbone-strutted small
framing, mullioned windows including a 7-light canted oriel,
and leaded glazing partly removed. A herringbone-strutted
gable facing right and a large quadrant-braced gable to the
street, both jettied; carved tiebeams; bargeboards; double
loading doors at first floor level to yard; shaped red brick
An enterprising street-corner composition by the most
influential of Chester's late C19 architects.
Building vacant or in partial use at time of survey (1992).
(Chester City Council and Committee: Improvement Committee
Minutes: 14.9.1898; Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas:
Listing NGR: SJ4190166443
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings