History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Zion Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1917 / 53°11'30"N

Longitude: -2.8819 / 2°52'54"W

OS Eastings: 341172

OS Northings: 366432

OS Grid: SJ411664

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2VWZ

Mapcode Global: WH88F.P1VH

Entry Name: Zion Chapel

Listing Date: 10 January 1972

Last Amended: 23 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375836

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469815

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4166 GROSVENOR PARK ROAD
1932-1/6/141 (East side)
10/01/72 Zion Chapel
(Formerly Listed as:
GROSVENOR PARK ROAD
Baptist Church)

GV II

Baptist church, now Zion chapel. 1879-80. By John Douglas.
Stone-dressed red brick; red-brown clay tile roof. Undercroft,
church and ancillary rooms in a small wing at west end of each
side, over which the main roof sweeps down.
EXTERIOR: the symmetrical west front has corner turrets with
eaves lower than those to the church; each turret has double
boarded doors in moulded pointed-arched stone openings. 3
mullioned 3-light windows to basement in railed area between
turrets. The main gable-end is of 3 bays divided by moulded
stone projections; 2 lancets to lower part of each bay; a
Geometrical 2-light window to upper part of each bay, the
central window being tall. Steep stone-coped gable. The corner
turrets diminish to octagons in plan immediately beneath the
boldly projecting eaves of spires. 3 bays to each side have
triple lancets, stone-dressed in recessed arched brick panels;
the bays divided by stone-dressed buttresses. The north and
south wings have cross-windows in their west faces. 2 louvred
and gabled lucarnes on each slope of main roof.
INTERIOR has a west gallery. Detailing is simple.
The chapel is an important element of the excellently-composed
group of buildings east of Grosvenor Park Road by John
Douglas.
(Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 114,
249-50).

Listing NGR: SJ4117266432

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.