This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1914 / 53°11'29"N
Longitude: -2.8818 / 2°52'54"W
OS Eastings: 341182
OS Northings: 366400
OS Grid: SJ411664
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2VYC
Mapcode Global: WH88F.P1XQ
Entry Name: 6-11, Grosvenor Park Road
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469813
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
GROSVENOR PARK ROAD
Row of 6 town houses. 1872. By John Douglas as architect and
developer. Ruabon red brick; some plaster panels and
terracotta; red-brown clay tile roof. A varied but disciplined
rhythm in Douglas's Germanic manner, flanked like his
adjoining Zion Chapel (qv) by spired octagonal turrets.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with second floor partly in the high,
steep roofs. Well-executed brick detailing with boldly
corbelled left turret, mullioned and mullioned and transomed
casements and panelled gables with some plastered lozenges.
Mullioned and transomed ground-floor windows. Panelled doors
with wrought-iron furniture, some covered, in varied porches.
First and second-floor windows are mullioned or mullioned and
transomed; some purpose-made leaded and painted glazing in
Sequence as follows: left bay with jettied first floor to end,
hipped roof and hipped dormer facing Zion chapel, porch then
octagonal turret with lead finialed spire to front : second
bay with hipped dormer; broad third bay with great finialed
half dormer, and with hipped canted bay window to ground
floor; fourth bay with broad gabled dormer; gabled fifth bay
with 2-storey canted, parapeted bay window; gabled sixth and
seventh bay, the latter with a 2-storey hipped canted bay
window and slender turret with steep spire and weathervane,
marking the corner between Grosvenor Park Road and Grosvenor
Park. The right end is more simply expressed than front and
left end. 4 great ribbed chimneys.
INTERIORS not fully inspected but retain Douglas detailing,
some of very high quality.
The houses were highly praised by Raffles Davison, noted by
Muthesius and acclaimed by the Chester Archaeological Society
as distinguished townscape between the then recently
constructed City Road from the railway station and the
5-year-old Grosvenor Park where Kemp was designer and Douglas
(Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 112-5,
Listing NGR: SJ 41182 66400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings