This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1967 / 53°11'48"N
Longitude: -2.8828 / 2°52'58"W
OS Eastings: 341120
OS Northings: 366989
OS Grid: SJ411669
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2N7V
Mapcode Global: WH887.PXF6
Plus Code: 9C5V54W8+MV
Entry Name: Former Church of St Barnabas and Curates House
Listing Date: 19 July 1985
Last Amended: 23 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469914
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Boughton
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ4166 SIBELL STREET
1932-1/6/263 (North West side)
19/07/85 Former Church of St Barnabas and
(Formerly Listed as:
St Barnabas Church and House)
Mission church and curate's house, now offices. 1877-1878. By
John Douglas. Brick with stone details to church;
timber-framed front to house; slate roofs.
PLAN: 6-bay nave continuous with one-bay chancel; 2-bay north
transept with attached eastern vestry; west porch and
octagonal north-west baptistry; a roofed lobby between church
and curate's house.
EXTERIOR: west front gable-end of church has blocked window,
triangular buttresses, plastered apex dated 1877,
timber-framed fleche surmounted by ball and cross. South side
has 4 camber-arched windows with leaded glazing damaged; added
timber-framed porch with leaded glazing; 2 leaded casements
east of porch; 3 slate-cheeked raked-roofed dormers on
roof-slope. The east end has 3 leaded lancets. North vestry
has leaded camber-arched cross-window; the north transept has
triple leaded lancets, north, and 2 leaded casements and door,
west. 2 leaded north windows to nave; inserted roof-lights.
Simple king post trusses; an early C19 panel of German stained
and painted glass in east window. The lobby between church and
house provides archway to rear yard.
The house of one and a half storeys has front gable, left,
with lower stair wing, right. Sillband; window of 5
basket-arched lights, upper panes leaded; stair window of 4
basket-arched leaded lights. Upper storey of gable on shallow
brick jetty is timber-framed; window of six 8-pane lights
stands proud of wall-face on 3 shaped brackets above 4
small-framed panels; corner colonnettes to window; a
diagonally-braced panel to each side of window; plastered
gable apex dated 1877; boldly-projecting eaves on quadrant
brackets; exposed purlin-ends. The stair-bay has hipped roof
with exposed rafters at eaves. A ridge chimney and a chimney
on rear slope of roof.
The rear has a lean-to outshut with boarded door; boarded door
in stair-wing; casements with segmental-arched heads.
INTERIOR of house not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the church and house were built from public
subscription to serve the workers' suburb adjoining the
railway by Chester Station, Station Road (qv).
Building vacant at time of survey (April 1992).
(Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 247).
Listing NGR: SJ4112066989
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings