History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bluecoat School and Former Chapel of St John Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.194 / 53°11'38"N

Longitude: -2.8938 / 2°53'37"W

OS Eastings: 340381

OS Northings: 366701

OS Grid: SJ403667

Mapcode National: GBR 79.2ZHJ

Mapcode Global: WH887.JZ68

Entry Name: Bluecoat School and Former Chapel of St John Baptist

Listing Date: 28 July 1955

Last Amended: 23 July 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375966

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469945

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St Oswald and St Thomas of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4066 UPPER NORTHGATE STREET
1932-1/6/275 (West side)
28/07/55 Bluecoat School and former Chapel of
St John Baptist
(Formerly Listed as:
UPPER NORTHGATE STREET
The Bluecoat School)
(Formerly Listed as:
UPPER NORTHGATE STREET
Church of Little St John)

GV II*

Chapel, orphanage and school, now youth centre. Founded 1700
by Bishop Stratford and built 1717. Stone-dressed orange
brick; hipped grey slate roof. U-shaped.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical; plinth. Central block has
pedimented entrance bay with 2 bays to each side; second and
fourth bays recessed. Central bay has through passage in
basket-arched painted-stone Tuscan case carrying shouldered
round arched niche with statue of Bluecoat boy 1854 by Edward
Richardson. A basket-arched 19-pane sash in pilastered case to
each side of entrance; a narrower bay to each side has door of
6 fielded panels in pilastered case with blank panel above.
Second-storey floorband; blank panel to entrance bay; 2 square
6-pane sashes to each side have simple stone cases with keys.
Cornice; clock in central pediment; parapet with simple stone
cap. Central octagonal belfry cupola has round-arched
bell-openings and copper roof. Projecting south and north
wing, each with 2 basket-arched 16-pane sashes to court in
ground floor and 2 square 6-pane sashes to first floor, all in
cases as in central block.
Front of south wing has basket-arched window to former Chapel
of St John, arch breaking floorband, with 2 mullions, central
glazing bar, 2 horizontal bars and impost transom; case with
panelled pilasters. North wing has basement window projecting
above plinth and window of 46 panes, including fanlight, in
case matching that to chapel. The south face has 6 fixed
lights of 16 panes with 1-pane hopper inserts; 6-pane first
floor sashes above, all in cases as to the front; plinth,
floorband, cornice and parapet. The north face, similar to
south face, has a door and windows also to basement, facing
Canal Street.
The rear is simply expressed. Long, narrow area to basement
has quarter-landing and 10 steps, now concrete, down to
basement; access to central passage bridges area. Wrought-iron


railing to area has round knob-topped balusters on painted
stone plinth. Brick reveals to passage arch with panelled
imposts; keystone. The ground floor has 2 segmental-arched
12-pane flush sashes and an altered, deeper, 15-pane sash
north of passage; a square bay window of 4;4;8;4;4-panes with
pilaster mullions of stone; 2 segmental-arched 15-pane sashes
and bay window, as to north, south of passage. Brick
floorband; 11 recessed 9-pane fixed lights to second storey in
segmental-arched openings; cornice parapet and plain stone
coping; 2 lateral chimneys.
INTERIOR: most details are removed. Recessed 2-panel shaped
double gates with wrought-iron spikes in central
through-passage. Cellars at rear with some barrel and groined
vaulting in brick. A few doors of 6 fielded or 6 plain panels.
A dogleg oak stair at junctions of south and north wing with
central wing, with turned newels, stick balusters and oak
rails. One or 2 rooms have cornices. The former Chapel of St
John Baptist is stripped of features and sub-divided.

Listing NGR: SJ4038166701

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.