History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Almshouses of Hospital of St John Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.194 / 53°11'38"N

Longitude: -2.8944 / 2°53'39"W

OS Eastings: 340342

OS Northings: 366695

OS Grid: SJ403666

Mapcode National: GBR 79.2ZBD

Mapcode Global: WH887.HZY9

Entry Name: Almshouses of Hospital of St John Baptist

Listing Date: 10 January 1972

Last Amended: 23 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375965

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469944

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St Oswald and St Thomas of Canterbury

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (EM)

SJ4066 UPPER NORTHGATE STREET
1932-1/6/276 (West side)
10/01/72 Almshouses of Hospital of St John
Baptist
(Formerly Listed as:
UPPER NORTHGATE STREET
Almshouses)

GV II

14 almshouses. Rebuilt 1854 by Morris and Hobson for Trustees
of Hospital of St John Baptist in place of 13 almshouses
reputedly founded by Earl Ranulph III of Chester 1181-1232.
Stone-dressed orange brick; hipped grey slate roof. U-shaped
court accessed through Bluecoat School (qv).
2 storeys with 6 almshouses in central block and 4 almshouses
each in south and north wing which project toward Bluecoat
School. Plinth. Paired 4-panel doors in Tuscan cases, each
with side and central pilasters, friezes and cornices. A
stone-cased segmental-arched sash to ground floor of each
almshouse. The first storey has a stone-cased rectangular sash
above each ground floor sash and a pair above each pair of
doors. Stone cornice; 8-course brick parapet with simple stone
coping. Symmetrically-placed ridge chimneys have original
pots.
Courtyard of blue paviours between almshouses and Bluecoat
School.
INTERIORS have been comprehensively refurbished and the rears
carefully extended, probably 1970s.


Listing NGR: SJ4034266695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.