This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.572 / 51°34'19"N
Longitude: -0.1957 / 0°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 525136
OS Northings: 187448
OS Grid: TQ251874
Mapcode National: GBR C4.PB4
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.KRC8
Entry Name: 897, Finchley Road
Listing Date: 30 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375973
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469953
Location: Barnet, London, NW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Childs Hill
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Alban the Martyr Golders Green
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2587 FINCHLEY ROAD
31/28/10346 No 897
Bank, dated 1921, designed 1913 by T .B. Whinney for London, City and Midland Bank (later the Midland Bank). Monumental classical style, occupying corner site, emphasizing the angle of the building. Portland stone, red brick, roof obscured behind parapet. Curved entrance facade in rusticated Portland stone, symmetrical with central entrance flanked by two pairs of giant order Ionic attached 3/4 columns, stone plinth, plain entablature with modillion cornice, stone parapet, part pierced with turned balusters, this continuing to side elevations. Central entrance beneath semicircular arch containing plain fanlight, the keystone flowing into cartouche flanked by swagged garlands, blank articulated apron above. Pair of raised and fielded panelled doors, on the curve, with brass door furniture. Between the columns rectangular windows at upper and lower storey level, with obscured ~, three with iron grilles. Finchley Road elevation in red brick articulated by rusticated stone pilasters, with stone plinth, entablature and parapet continuing from the entrance facade. Four windows, each beneath open pediment with dentil cornice, on moulded brackets, moulded architraves, sashes with glazing bars, plain apron below extending over plinth. 5th bay defined by rusticated pilasters, containing monumental moulded architrave with keystone, framing upper and lower storey sashes with glazing bars, the upper window above plain apron. Similar north elevation, with simpler Sth bay with doorcase in plain stone architrave, flanked by sash with glazing bars, three upper lights with stone ci1ls and keystones. Iron rainwater heads, dated 1921, and downspouts. Interior: entrance lobby fully lined with raised and fielded panelling with dentil cornice. Inner paired doors in moulded architrave lead to banking hall with raised and fielded panelled dado to Finchley Road elevation. Coffered ceiling, each rib on paired brackets rising from frieze, modillion cornice. Banking counter alternating horizontal raised and fielded panels and vertical eared panels between scrolled brackets, gadrooned underside to counter top. Booker,]., Temples of Mammon, 1990.
Listing NGR: TQ2513687448
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings