This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1925 / 53°11'32"N
Longitude: -2.8913 / 2°53'28"W
OS Eastings: 340545
OS Northings: 366527
OS Grid: SJ405665
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2S71
Mapcode Global: WH88F.K0DW
Entry Name: Abbey Chambers
Listing Date: 28 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470016
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
CHESTER CITY (IM)
SJ4066NE ABBEY SQUARE
595-1/2/14 (East side)
Detached town house, now office. 1754. Built on a probably
40-year lease from the Dean and Chapter of Chester Cathedral.
Flemish bond brown brick with grey slate roof.
EXTERIOR: cellar and 3 storeys of 3 windows, symmetrical. 4
stone steps to late C19 door of 4 bolection panels with
central reed, in panelled case with fluted pilasters, lions
heads at corners, frieze with pecked-corners to panel and
cornice hood. Recessed sashes with painted stone sills and
gauged-brick cambered heads, 2 of 15 panes to first storey and
3 to second storey; 3 flush sashes, now of 4 panes, to the
third storey. Band of one brick course oversailing 3 courses
beneath brick parapet with plain stone coping.
The north end has a rendered plinth and a recessed 16-pane
sash in the first and second storeys. The south end has a
recessed 16-pane sash to the first and second storeys and a
4-pane flush sash to the third storey. The rear wing, north,
has an unequal 12-pane flush sash to the third storey. A lead
rainwater pipe and head on the north end dated 1754 with
initials. Coped parapets to gables. The fragment of a probably
pre C18 wall of coursed rubble sandstone is attached to the
INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SJ4054566527
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings